Oahu morning dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rocknrone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Why can I not find any MORNING shallow reef dives on Oahu?

All of the dive charters offer a deep wreck dive and then a shallow reef dive in the morning. The shallow reef dives are all in the afternoon.

My wife would really like to do two reef dives in the morning to free up the afternoon for other activities top side.

And why do the tourist attractions close at 5:00 pm?

Nitrogen.

Imagine you are diving all day with an outfit. You will probably recall that your Open Water manual had a few pages talking about the human body vs nitrogen. The deeper we go, the more rapidly we absorb nitrogen. It's standard practice to make your deepest dive first. Therefore, the hardcore dive kooks (AKA our dive club and most of us instructors/divemasters) Will run a day that looks like this:

AM Deep/Shallow
PM Shallow/Shallow

If you are running a computer and reverse these profiles you will find a considerably agonizing wait between your first shallow dive and deeper dive you have planned later in the day. Though there is no evidence to say that reverse profile diving is "bad" it sure is a good way to sit on a boat for an hour and a half in between dives getting seasick.

Hope this helps..... You could also post on here for a shore diving guide/buddy. Several DM's I know are happy to lead a few sites if you buy em lunch and a few cold ones : )

G

I understand body vs. nitrogen.

I thought there would be a demand for shallow dives in the morning.
My wife doesn't want to take an entire day of the trip and only dive. She would like to dive in the morning and free up time in the afternoon to do something like Pearl Harbor, or hike to a waterfall etc.

Getting back to the dock in the afternoon doesn't allow much time for site seeing, hiking, tourist things to do.

Well, most of us are back to the dock by about 3pm. True, Pearl Harbor has probably run their last tour by then but if you are earlybirds you can easily get up and do a hike before a 10:45 meetup at the harbor (Diamond Head, Manoa Falls etc). It should also be noted that you can charter a private boat if your budget allows...... let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

Mahalo!

G

Also be cautious about hiking after diving. Some of the hikes I've done here are over 2000' elevation (i.e. your 'no fly time' needs to be watched if you're going that high).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom