Oahu & Maui Dive sites & info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmorgan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone,
I am going to Oahu and Maui in June. I am looking to do a day/night dive for Manta Rays. Do you need to be at the Big Island to do these or are there other locations. Also what are the must dives from these two islands. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

The main organized night dives with the mantas are all out of Kona down on the Big Island. Sorry.

On Maui that's a site called "Manta Point" that is a known Manta cleaning station. Lahaina Divers goes there pretty regularly for their evening/night dive and has pretty good success seeing Mantas. However, nothing compares to the Big Island for Manta sightings.

If you have time while you're on Maui, a trip to dive Lanai is definitely recommended. If you've never seen either of the Cathedrals, they're definitely worth the time IMO. Molokini Crater is usually a "must" for most as well. Although you'll hear recommendations to do the backwall, I prefer the corners, particularly Reef's End. The backwall is a spectacular vertical wall where the viz makes the view amazing, but there isn't much marine life when compared to inside the crater. South Maui has some great dives as well that you can do from shore or boat.

Frankly, nearly 200 Maui dives later and I just haven't experienced much bad diving there!

Best bet for mantas on Oahu is probably the Mahi wreck off of the west side. Don't have as many dives as Gabe, but I've only seen two. One on the Mahi, and one off the pipe (southside). Deep Ecology just did a trip over to Kona and Tyler said the Manta dives rock. Plenty of good non-manta diving here on Oahu though, haven't dove Maui personally, but am sure it is excellent. Give Kaimana divers a shout once you have dates and I am sure Gabe can hook you up!

Michael

Back
Top Bottom