Oahu late October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryHinDC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We'll be spending a few days on Oahu in late October, mainly doing the top-side tourist thing before heading to Hawai'i for the diving part of our holidays. If we do decide we want to get a day's diving in on Oahu, what dive op would you recommend and where would you recommend we spend one day? Thanks!

I suggest you spend one day away from Honolulu. Take a leisurely drive up the windward coast...maybe stop and see the Blowhole and take cheesy photos on the From Here to Eternity beach. Take a minute or two at Lanai Lookout and strain to see the neighboring islands (you will if the weather is clear), and perhaps gawk at gasping shore divers as they scramble back up the cliffs after their shore dive there. Have lunch at the Crouching Lion Inn at Kaaawa (experiences about the food and service are very mixed, but you don't go for the food or service - you goes for the view, which is spectacular). Once you get to the North Shore, ogle the waves/surfers at famous spots such as Pipeline and Waimea Bay. Do stop at Laniakea Beach, where (if you're very lucky) you'll see Green sea turtles hauling up onto the beach for a bask in the sun. Keep driving to Haleiwa for shave-ice, souveniers and a stroll around before heading home. Nice way to spend a day.

Good morning,

I have literally just landed from my trip to Oahu. I will post a more detailed recommendation later on but, here goes. Contact Gabe at Kaimana Divers. We are talking small group and one on one experiences. Gabe works with numerous charter captains on the island. As a guide he rocks. I ended up doing 12 dives with Gabe during a 4 day span. During that time I was able to witness numerous other dive ops and knew I was fortunate to be diving with Gabe. If I was going to dive with anyone else on the Oahu it would be scubadrew (always on this forum). He was guiding a diver on one of my morning dives with Gabe. They joined us for what would be one of my top 5 dives ever (included a very neat monk seal experience and 3 white tips).

Okay, a better review of diving with Kaimana divers later. Hoping to unpack and take a nap.

Hope this helped,

Jamie

Mahalo Jamie!

Man that was a lot of fun diving with you bro. Was really cool to meet you and share that epic monk seal experience with you. I've posted it already today, but the monk seal vid is on my blog..... check it out!

PM me if there are any questions you might have Larry..... look forward to diving with you.

G

I have not dove with Gabe from Kaimana divers ....yet, but I am looking forward to diving with him in a couple of weeks. I have heard nothing but great things about him and Kaimana divers.

Nice to hear all these good reviews for Gabe! I did my advanced, nitrox, rescue and dive master courses with him and had a blast! He is highly recommended.

Good work buddy, and good to hear that people are getting to see the monk seals this year! I saw my first two a couple weeks back, awesome!

and here are those seals! Wish I got a better pic!

Attachments

• Monks.JPG
    Monks.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 129
  • UptheLine.JPG
    UptheLine.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 114
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom