Oahu Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello everyone. I'm an experienced diver from California, but have only dived out here. I'm headed to Oahu in a week and wanted to hear from anyone who has been to any great dive spots. These can be beach or boat adventures. Also, does anyone know of any great shark experience trips? Not looking for cave or wreck diving, or anything below 70' as we will have some beginners with us. Thank you and I appreciate any help.

Regards,

Deked Hockey
(JP)

^moved there.

I'm also a California diver (Monterey and the North Coast), but I'm going to be on Oahu the 6th-12th. Send me a PM if you want to meet up for some dives.

Chris

Hi Deked-

We have lots of sharks here, just not necessarily where the dive boats go. I have spent a lot of time documenting these animals and have oodles of detailed accounts of my experiences on my website, below. For a quick rundown:

Whitetip reef sharks: Everywhere. Look in caves and ask the DM to point out likely hiding spots.
Galapagos and Sandbar sharks: North shore Oahu has two ops that put snorkelers in cages.
Whale sharks: Kona in winter and keep your fingers crossed.
Hammerheads: Lahaina Divers out of Maui go across the channel to Molokai, but this is a deep, very advanced dive.

Again, you'd probably enjoy poking around my site as I have lots of experience with these and many other species.

Cheers!

I just got back from Oahu on Monday. I did 21 dives and didn't get to see one shark while diving. (BTW Jeff Its Gary) I did the shark cage on the North Shore and although its snorkeling and not diving it was pretty awesome. My suggestion is to try and be in the first group to go in. That's what I did because they don't chum the sharks are just naturally attracted to the sounds of the boat engines and that is when the most are active. The diving on Oahu is great and if your looking for a dive op I Strongly recommend Kaimana Divers. The owners name is Gabe and he's the man and they will get you to different sights and are very good with beginners.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom