Oahu Diver in critical condition.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh no...he was diving, in the water. But grey when they got him on the boat without a pulse. He had had a couple heart attacks before according to family.

catherine96821:
oh no...he was diving, in the water. But grey when they got him on the boat without a pulse. He had had a couple heart attacks before according to family.

First off my condolensces to the family and all affected by this tragedy. I would think that having several heart attacks would preclude him from diving....

From my understanding, he did not disclose any prior medical conditions on his disclaimer, to the point of misstating any previous cardiac condition.

My condolences to his friends and family. :(

From my understanding, he did not disclose any prior medical conditions on his disclaimer, to the point of misstating any previous cardiac condition.

which is certainly his right, IMO, if the man wanted to dive.

I feel bad for his family, but if that's how he chose to go ... more power to him. I hope I'll be as lucky (and more than a little bit older).

The captain called me last night to tell me that the hospital had taken him off life support yesterday.

Alex (AAA diving) has taken this pretty hard. I think he knows they did a great job and I notice already he is thinking of anything he can to improve any future scenario. He asked me for an extra rubber yoga mat I have as he wants to wrap the AED in this to have a rubber pad on which to place a victim who is wet...

12 minutes from the call to the dock (coast guard report) is really excellent IMO. They got the other eleven out very fast.

Sounds like the family has been very appreciative.

I have one question...which I should know the answer to, but don't....so I will ask.

Do the AED computer interpretations distinguish flat line (asystole) from a fine V. fib?

and also...what do we know about the saline wet conditions of using these AED's on victims aboard boats?

Thalassamania:
I feel bad for his family, but if that's how he chose to go ... more power to him. I hope I'll be as lucky (and more than a little bit older).

I get your point, but respectfully disagree. Here's why:

Catherine96821:
Alex (AAA diving) has taken this pretty hard. I think he knows they did a great job and I notice already he is thinking of anything he can to improve any future scenario.

If one wanted to end it diving, went solo shore diving against a current to bring on an "event", tethered one's self to a fixed point in shallow water, and left a note with instructions, then maybe okay. Otherwise, doing so jeopardizes those who attempt a rescue or recovery, traumatizes those who are involved or are witnesses, and makes diving appear to be a more dangerous pursuit than it actually is, maybe in the end hurting all of us.

This of course is all responding to your hypothetical point and implies nothing about this incident, other than that the people who tried to rescue the stricken diver are adversely impacted.

Condolences to the family and friends of the diver, and respect to the divers and crew who tried to rescue him.

well....anybody that dives long enough is going to have to handle seeing a death. And it is good to be in touch with reality. When I said "taking it hard"...It is normal to be affected by a death. People involved know this heart attack could have happened anywhere and that the man was doing what he loved.

There is an argument to be made that experience serves a purpose.

I don't think the man was "trying to bring on an event". I think he was living a full and happy life with people he wanted to be with and doing something very enjoyable. Having that outlook and comitting suicide are very different.

Back
Top Bottom