Oahu Dive shops- suggestions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from Oahu two days ago. For a boat dive, I went through Aarons Dive Shop, our DM was great and took fantastic care of us. Made sure all in our group were comfortable, he was really flexible depending on what everyone was ok with.

We went on a two dive boat ride, our first dive being down 100 feet to a wreck called the Sea Tiger. They said visibility could've been better but I was totally pleased. You can even swim through the wreck a little if you're ok with that. The second dive was to what they called "The Pipe". This was, you guessed it, and underwater pipeline, down around 65 feet. I was even more impressed with the wildlife to be seen there. Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed my experience with them and as such am glad to recommend them to you.

For shore dives, the only one I did was Hanauma Bay, near shore it was windy and the surf kicked up silt so the viz wasn't great, and there are some currents there to kick against, but if you can deal with that it's also a nice little no pressure dive. The other people I was with went up to Turtle Bay (Cove?) And they said that was overall, twice as good as Hanauma, but it was a drive and unfortunately I wasn't feeling great. (Too much sushi)

I'm no Master Diver, but hopefully what I just got done experiencing helps you out a little bit. I loved every bit of Oahu and am missing it right now.

discdogs:
You are welcome to join us for shore diving if you like.

Choppersrule...are you diving again? Maybe you can join April & I on sunday?

What time are you going? Vince is working a day shift and I am going to BINGO around noonish. Let me know what time and where.

ch0ppersrule:
What time are you going? Vince is working a day shift and I am going to BINGO around noonish. Let me know what time and where.

Open to time and place, but how about 8am so you can get back to Bingo by noon. Wanna do westside or N-shore? I've done N-shore lots...how about Pray for Sex and then Makaha? or too far?...we could just do E-beach. Looks like the waves are down this weekend.

trucker girl:
Okay, I'll be in touch- do you dive any day or just weekends?

I am going to book my boat dives, but I'd like to find out who is available when for shore diving and work the boat dives around them, if that works for the folks at Oahu Scuba Divers...

We usually dive just weekends, but I'm up for a late day dive (5p) anytime and/or a night dive.

discdogs:
We usually dive just weekends, but I'm up for a late day dive (5p) anytime and/or a night dive.

Would you do a shore dive at night or are you talking about booking a boat dive? I did a night dive in Cozumel with "the group"- about 6 customers and 2 guides for the night dive.

I ask because I would be comfortable doing a night dive at the quarry I go to as a me and a buddy event, but I don't know about doing a night dive at a quarry I don't know so well in the same dynamics...

I checked with Oahu Scuba Divers about a night dive- they said Friday nights. I will have two Friday nights in Hawaii- the first one being Sept 15th (keeping in mind I still haven't bought my tickets as of yet :)). If I could dive somewhere during the day I might not mind returning for a night dive depending on the entry/exit conditions and other conditions etc...

I will make sure to keep my weekends fairly free- morning dives? Am I getting official with you? Sept 16th or 17th? As long as the airline doesn't loose my luggage...

Hey Suzanne,

What part of September? I also live in Ohio but will be back in Hawaii in Sep-Oct. I am familiar with many Oahu dive sites. Check out shorediving.com to get some other good info. There are some good dive shops on-island but I only use them for a boat dive when I feel I MUST get out to the deeper water but there is just as much fun near the shore. Ocean Concepts is the biggest dive operator on the isle and they do a good job.

In Sep you may still be able to get to the North Shore and that means Sharks Cove, Three Tables and Firehouse; not much coral but the lava formations and fish make-up for that. A great night dive is available at the Haleiwa trench. Watch out for the box jellyfish 8 to 10 days after full moon.

Aloha
Jim

trucker girl:
Would you do a shore dive at night or are you talking about booking a boat dive?

I will make sure to keep my weekends fairly free- morning dives?

If it is a late day dive, we'd probably come about around dusk or before....ie go into the water about 4:30 or 5p for about an hour.

Weekends...usually mornings...8a-9a meet time. Done by 12n-1p.

SCUBA-Jim:
Hey Suzanne,

What part of September? I also live in Ohio but will be back in Hawaii in Sep-Oct. I am familiar with many Oahu dive sites. Check out shorediving.com to get some other good info. There are some good dive shops on-island but I only use them for a boat dive when I feel I MUST get out to the deeper water but there is just as much fun near the shore. Ocean Concepts is the biggest dive operator on the isle and they do a good job.

In Sep you may still be able to get to the North Shore and that means Sharks Cove, Three Tables and Firehouse; not much coral but the lava formations and fish make-up for that. A great night dive is available at the Haleiwa trench. Watch out for the box jellyfish 8 to 10 days after full moon.

Aloha
Jim

Looks like I'll be arriving Sept 14th.
Thanks for the info- I'll check out that site!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom