Oahu Dive shops- suggestions please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trucker girl

Cupcake, Queen of Dorks
Reaction score
Off the road for good in April '08 and at home in
# of dives
100 - 199
My sister is living in Honolulu until December/January for her husband's job. I will be visiting in September (somewhere around the 16-23).

I want to go diving- so if any of you are willing to do one, some, ANY shore dives with a slightly quirky, dive junkie, Ohioan... I'd LOVE to meet you! I would love to dive with someone familiar with the sites- and if y'all are ever in Ohio, I can tour you around Gilboa Quarry- you won't go home the same person after that, let me tell ya!

Still, my sister probably needs to do a refresher. I want to go out on a boat with her but I don't think she's gone diving in about 2 years... My husband and I had a really, really, really, grotesquely bad experience with Reef Trekkers in 2002 before I ever got certified and I will not use them. Period. My husband will not even have a discussion about even thinking about diving as a result... he won't talk about snorkeling, either. It was that bad.

But I wondered if anyone had suggestions for other/better/smaller outfits that would be good on a boat dive. Or two. Or 10 if I can afford it :). And my sister if she needs a refresher (I haven't talked to her about it yet).

And if anyone is willing to buddy up with a perfect stanger on shore dives, I will buy you dinner! And I'm not talking McDonald's either (though that IS one of my favorite restaurants...).

Suzanne

grotesquely bad experience with Reef Trekkers in 2002
oh, you poor thing. That guy body slammed me underwater for taking a picture of his client.

I will be away in September but contact Justleesa (mod here) or AAA diving, if I were you.

that sounds really BAD... how do ops like that stay in business?

Trucker Girl - hope you have a great time on Oahu!

Go with Lisa and Roger -> www.oahuscubadivers.com

She's a mod here on SB and her user name is justleesa - you can PM her.

I have dived with her on two trips to Oahu and highly recommend their approach and their skills as guides :)

Great thanks!

Turns out my sister's husband has a friend who is a DM and will do a refresher for her- I talked to her and it's been roughly 2 1/2 years! If any of you Oahu folks are willing to show me shore dives, I will be out there sometime from the 15th thru the 28th roundabounts- I am looking at tickets and making sure the extra long time is okay with my sis before I buy! She thinks she might not want to dive- she enjoyed it in Belize but is nervous about going again- so it may just be me and the waves- and I am NOT going solo. Nope. No guts, no glory... you got that right- I ain't got either!

I'd love to dive every day I'm out there if I can- but I can't afford a boat every day! Really, I just want bragging rights when I get back to Ohio to the quarry! Just kidding.

I have all my own gear so I'll only need tanks and weights. Any takers, pm me please! I promise I am not the one they are talking about in the thread titled "worst diver I've ever seen"... :)

Suzanne

I'll take you up on that offer! I can show you the shore dives, do a refresher, take you out with AAA diving and I will be in Ohio soon visiting my daughter and Gkids.

Wildcard:
I'll take you up on that offer! I can show you the shore dives, do a refresher, take you out with AAA diving and I will be in Ohio soon visiting my daughter and Gkids.

I was thinking about PMing you but I didn't want to be too forward- I sent an email to justleesa warning her that I would harrass and stalk them- but they are a dive shop, so they're used to that...

Okay, when will you be in Ohio and where?

Willard and sometime. Maybe next week, maybe not. I just never know.

For Wild Card and anyone else I can con into diving with me :)...

I am mid-30s and have mid-40s dives logged. I did 9 of those in the past week and plan to keep diving as much as I can before I fly out. PADI advanced OW and I am a morphing buddy- I tend to do what the other person wants! If they want to lead, I follow... If they just float there looking at me, I lead... If they want to breath off my air for fun... well, that's where I draw the line!

I'm married for 10 years and been diving for about 4- but I'm always looking for a buddy (as mentioned, he don't dive!).

My deepest dive was 82 feet in Cozumel- though there were several around the 60-75 foot range. I did my official deep dive for the A OW cert at Gilboa Quarry in mid-June of '04- it was 41 degrees at 72 feet. I'll NEVER do that again! Ber Rabbit and Notso_ken are nuts!

I'm not too interested in deep dives- but if all I can find is deep divers, I'll go. I prefer long shallow dives with as many sights as possible to short deep dives with a wreck and a couple fishies here and there...

This feels like a personals ad, but I'm selling myself here as a buddy!

Oh, and I'm not above bribery- anyone want candies? cookies? My cat?

Let's go get wet!

Wildcard:
Willard and sometime. Maybe next week, maybe not. I just never know.

Wow- if you go, you'd be closer to Gilboa than I would! Let me know. Last minute works for me, too, if things change. I just need notice to get tanks- and, really, I can rent those from the quarry, but I like to rent from my LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom