Oahu – Dive conditions / Site / Operator recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just booked a family vacation on Oahu for the late January/ early February of 2010 (41 days, but who’s counting! :D ) and hope to get at least 3 days of diving in while I’m there…

I’m wondering what kind of water temps & viz I can expect that time of year??

Also any recommendations on “must dive” sites as well as Dive Ops in the Waikiki area (we are staying the Hilton – Hawaiian Village) would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
SSSSteve

We dive with Island Divers allot and also Honolulu Scuba Co both have been great and you will get door to door service. Have not dove with Gabe from Kaimana Divers yet but have heard lots of good things about him. As far as temp should still be 72-75 vis 80-120'. As far as sites if you are "AOW" San Pedro / YO257 @ 95' plus you can see the Atlantis sub going by , Sea Tiger 100-125' both of these are right off of Waikiki, on the other side of diamond head is the Corsair @ 106' and some barges @ 95-100', if the wind is from the south Sea Cave, China Wall 50-75' and Palea Point just out side Hanauma Bay@ 60' Hanauma Bay is good also if you get out past all the snorkelers.

It'll probably be around 72 to 74 when you're here. Cold this year. 5mm or 3mm with hood would be your best bet. From Waikiki, Honolulu Scuba or Gabe would be good choices from what I hear. I mostly shore dive or do self-guided... so can't speak from own experience. I've had mixed experiences with Island Divers. You'll likely be diving mostly South when you're here, so the sites mentioned would be good ones. Vis has been bad closer to shore lately, but still good compared to most places. North will be out of the question.

I went with Island Divers back in April and would recomend them. I chose them because I was specifically looking for a GUE shop and they were the only one. We did a wreck (some sort of Marine landing craft... can't recall the name) and a beautiful reef dive (technically a wall but the profile is only 8-10'). The boat is nice enough and they run a good operation overall. I dive primarily in the northeast and was thoroughly blown away to say the least. I'm used to temps in the 30's - 40's and anything over 6 feet is good viz.

We pulled up to the wreck and the DM jokingly said, "looks like we have 93' of vis"... the depth on the sonar was 93' and we could clearly see everything on the bottom. We saw tons of wildlife including a white tip reef shark, octopus, a bunch of morays and unknown to me... apparently swimming about 4' under me was a HUGE Eagle Ray. I was the ONLY person that didn't see it. It was also the tail end of humpback season and we could hear one off in the distance. As I was standing on the swim platform, the captain pointed him out, lounging around on the surface about 100 yards off the stearn.

I also stayed at the Hilton HV and had a great time. I took surfing lessons while I was there and had a blast. The little break just off the beach is a great place to learn.

As far as temps are concerned, I was fine in an ill fitting (loose) 3mm full suit but was only diving 1 day so YMMV. I don't think a 5mm would be overkill.

Gabe - PM sent

Crlavoie

I hope you are diving Dry in the 30's!! Most of my local diving is in the 50's (on a warm day) and that's with a 7mil Merino lined fullsiut, hooded vest and heavy boots/gloves.

I have to decide if I shodul take my 7mil Merino full-suit or a 3mil LS-Shorty/John combo with a hooded vest (and I really hate wearing hoods) ....

Woudl you have been too warm in a 7mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom