Oahu; April 4-8th trip; West side or Shark's Cove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eduardo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha!

I'll be staying at the JW Marriott in Ko'olina on April 4 - 8 and would like any suggestions on dive operations and locations. This is a quick getaway from Arizona (it already hit 94 degrees here!:sunny) so I'll have just 2 mornings for diving.

I dove with Ocean Concepts out of Waianae last December which is an option.

Sharks Cove would be nice if the wife and kids can snorkel while I dive. Are the seas usually calm enough by that date to dive Sharks Cove with Deep Ecology? Or is it just a "wait and see" if conditions permit?

I'm a newbie diver with AOW. Any and all ideas regarding locations and Dive Ops would be appreciated.

Restaurant tips in the area are also welcome. $20 Hotel-poolside-burgers are not my thing! Prefer sushi, local cuisine.:14:

Mahalo,
Ed

p.s. this will be the maiden voyage of my new BC and Reg!!!

Aloha! Please try your new set up out somehow before you drag it all the way here only to find a problem. I deal with this every day Im on the boat. Sharks is most likely a no go but it does get divable once in a while that early.
Id recomend Oahuscubadivers...Did I get that right Lisa? or AAA diving. Go dive our nice "wrecks" and enjoy your visit.
Try auntie pastas in Kunia for good food at pretty good prices.

Thanks Wildcard. I've tested the gear in the pool a couple of times, but it's a long way to open water from here.

If you go with Deep Ecology, they'll pick westside or shark's cove based on conditions, you can't lose.

Thanks for the info. lazyturtle. I thought they just dove the North Shore.

The hotel referred me to Hawaii Nautical that dives off of a Cat in Ko'olina. Any experiences with them?

Mahalo,
Ed

If you're going out of Ko'olina make sure the dive is not to Electric Beach (Kahe Point). There's a cat that goes there (though I think it's a snorkel trip), but it's really a shore dive, no reason at all to take a boat.

Go with ocean concepts again you cant go wrong with them and they will even pick you up ate your hotel

BigBadDiver - Dude, are you an employee of Ocean Concepts? You seem to promote them often and your profile indicates that you are a DM.

It's OK if you are employed by them, but it would be nice if you were up front about it.

lol ed..
btw.. i don't work for any dive ops.. nor restaurants..

but roy's next to the golf club at koolina has good international cuisine and local kine too..

if you like luau food.. paradise cove luau is within the koolina compound.. so you can stumble home after all the mai tai's.. and they have a good show too..

regardless of who you choose to dive with on the west side.. there are great dive-sites on that side.. LCU west, mahi wreck, etc..

sharks cove should be diveable the next couple days.. so, flat days to the north are becoming more common now.. just check the surf forecast when you get here..

Back
Top Bottom