O2 Kit for Personal Boat --- Questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind that giving the highest concentration of oxygen causes the highest rate of off gassing of nitrogen.

Best practice for dive related medical emergencies is to give 100% oxygen and have enough for the time it would take to hand off to other emergency providers.

Next best is to give 100% until your supply runs out.

Third best is to give the highest percent oxygen you have until it runs out. This would be your highest nitrox mix (with RescueEAN).

Worst case is no oxygen or nitrox available.
Keep in mind... RescueEAN can be used on 100% O2 dive bottles. Does not have to be a "medical oxygen bottle" (with added prize premium for "medical")
So... get a 100% O2 stage/deco bottle, a reg with 2nd stage and LP hose, a rescue Ean, and bobs your uncle....

Keep in mind that giving the highest concentration of oxygen causes the highest rate of off gassing of nitrogen.

Best practice for dive related medical emergencies is to give 100% oxygen and have enough for the time it would take to hand off to other emergency providers.

Next best is to give 100% until your supply runs out.

Third best is to give the highest percent oxygen you have until it runs out. This would be your highest nitrox mix (with RescueEAN).

Worst case is no oxygen or nitrox available.
exactly why I recommend going with a scuba tank with 100% O2 in it. Use the RescuEAN on that bottle and get home AQAP

First off, yes, they will pass hydro. Tank failures are incredibly uncommon.
The valves in them haven't changed. CGA-870 is a standard. It will fit all pin index 870 oxygen regulators.
Here is your best bet, it is the same reg sold in the DAN kits. It will support 15lpm flow rates and also has DISS fittings should you upgrade to a demand valve at some point.
1701887069956.png

Pick up a couple of these to go with it and you have an o2 kit.

1701887042278.png

You can get nicer and fancier, but that is all you need to turn your bare bottles into an oxygen kit for the boat.

On my boat, my bottles are stored vertically in the forward cabin. The contents of my kit are in my first aid go bag. Just a standard zippered canvas bag. I carry two tanks, two regulators, multiple non rebreather masks, two demand valves, and a bag valve mask in my o2 kit. That is a lot of overkill until the day it isn't.
I have enough oxygen to feed two divers 15lpm for 2 hours. That is the furthest I run offshore.

Another note to keep in mind, there are no rules requiring you to carry emergency oxygen, but there are rules if you do. Put a paper tag on the bottles and write down when you check the pressure. Having safety equipment that doesn't work isn't going to save anybody and can put you at risk in a legal situation if bad things ever did happen. Check everything on a schedule and stick to it. Whether than be weekly, monthly, before every trip, whatever. If you have a system and documentation showing you stick to that system, it reflects much better on you.

Edited to replace amazon links with pictures.

Keep in mind... RescueEAN can be used on 100% O2 dive bottles. Does not have to be a "medical oxygen bottle" (with added prize premium for "medical")
So... get a 100% O2 stage/deco bottle, a reg with 2nd stage and LP hose, a rescue Ean, and bobs your uncle....
OP was asking about medical O2 tanks he got for free (not scuba tanks filled with 100%). Your solution is good for you but may be beyond what is needed by the OP (or maybe not).

OP was asking about medical O2 tanks he got for free (not scuba tanks filled with 100%). Your solution is good for you but may be beyond what is needed by the OP (or maybe not).
In my understanding, he also asked for potential other solutions and that he wasn't bonded to these tanks as he got them for free. Personally... 20miles off shore... Possibly doing technical/freedivnig I want volume, a robust delivery system with possibility of using all possible gas resources. Alu80s are a cheap solution, with good second hand value, and can be used for his planned technical diving.

I think if you have the M cylinder and can can find a place for it, go with it.

Standard in the fire service / EMS world are D size cylinders and doing CPR at 20 lpm by bag valve mask we burn through one of those in less than 10 minutes. It's not uncommon to go through 3 or 4 in the course of running a code.

I would recommend ordering a length of extra tubing because you may not be able to get the patient and the cylinder to the same place on deck.

For those of you who run O2 kits on YOUR boats. How do you store them? Space is at a *premium* so my preferred method of a Pelican is basically not an option. Maybe a padded backpack? Drybag? Need something with quick access but relatively decent protection from the elements.
For me O2 dive tanks (40 cu ft, and multiple 13 cu ft for CCR) simply stored as dive tanks should be, an O2 diving regulator, and then pelican case for Med Kit has DIN to 3 pin medical adapter (from DGX) plus basic medical O2 administration supplies purely as just in case for myself and friends/family I may have on my boat (which may be in very remote location...).

BUT with that said:
1) If I were taking students/paying passengers/anyone else which would expand my legal liabilities in terms of a "duty of care" (disclaimer I'm not an attorney/this is not legal advice) I would write out an official safety plan with considerable detail including O2 administration gas planning and sufficient "medical" oxygen. In a worst case scenario I would not want to be explaining to a jury why one type of pure oxygen is literally identical to another type of pure oxygen as justification for my planning to administer "non-medical oxygen" in case of a medical emergency (as opposed to, in an emergency using everything that you have at your disposal...).

2) In a medical emergency 20+ miles is nothing for a helevac, but for cases not as serious I would like to know I can administer O2 as long as needed/beneficial. After doing the math for how fast one would go through O2 bottles at the DAN recommended flow rates I came to the conclusion that in remote locations where definitive medical care may be delayed that as big an oxygen tank as I could put up with and long tubing would be a minimum but ideally one could also have an oxygen concentrator to supplement O2 tank (and in my unique case, since I already have it onboard, after immediate conventional O2 administration I would use my Triton CCR if the diver needing sustained O2 is conscious...).

FWIW I have two E cylinders, a regulator, and some NRBs. This is mostly a function of having two asthmatic partners, but they coyld also go with me on a dive boat. Based on my own training and experience I would also like to have a small adult BVM in my kit.

FWIW I have two E cylinders, a regulator, and some NRBs. This is mostly a function of having two asthmatic partners, but they coyld also go with me on a dive boat. Based on my own training and experience I would also like to have a small adult BVM in my kit.
Yep. I spent a lot of years working in the back of a bus. One of the other dive boat operators up here is the same way.
If something bad happens and they can make it to the surface, his boat or mine would be where I would want to come up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom