O2 clean tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a case of wrong terminology used on my behalf …. and seeing how much you can burn/flame someone the other side of the line. Tells me a lot about some individuals on this forum and the general attitude towards others. Use it, don’t use it.

Let me rephrase then …..

In short ...... O2 over 40% becomes a potential dangerous gas to work with. O2 is a very flammable gas and under pressure it can and will ignite when in contact with contaminants . Let rather use … O2 is a oxidizer and it will cause most materials to burn given a high enough partial pressure.

Inflammable means flammable? Ugh, what a country!

Dr+Nick+Simpsons.png

You need heat too. :biggrin:

You need heat too. :biggrin:

heat is always present, absolute zero is at approx -273 deg C

any temperature greater than that is capable of ignition given the appropriate pressure and mixture

one great example is starting a diesel engine, they don't have spark plugs.

they consist of pressure, air, fuel source, and the ambient air temp.

diesel doesn't spontaneously ignite at 1 ATM @ 25 deg C, however when the piston comes up and that 1 atm increases, everything changes

heat is always present, absolute zero is at approx -273 deg C

any temperature greater than that is capable of ignition given the appropriate pressure and mixture

one great example is starting a diesel engine, they don't have spark plugs.

they consist of pressure, air, fuel source, and the ambient air temp.

diesel doesn't spontaneously ignite at 1 ATM @ 25 deg C, however when the piston comes up and that 1 atm increases, everything changes

Do not think that diesel engine is a good example in diesel engine the temperature is around 500c. Yes it's created by pressure but it is way too far from the room temperature to be an illustrative example for your post:)

When that presure goes way up real fast you get alot of heat. I dont think you'll see much more than 100 F if you fill a tank properly.

As long as O2 is filled slowly, you should not get a large change in temp. I guess theoreticall if you transfilled an O2 tank in a couple seconds from 0-3000 psi, there could be some serious heat generation.

Yeah diesel is probably not a great analogy; the pressure isn't directly relevant to the actual ignition, since the fuel isn't introduced until after the compression is completed

It is a case of wrong terminology used on my behalf …. and seeing how much you can burn/flame someone the other side of the line. Tells me a lot about some individuals on this forum and the general attitude towards others. Use it, don’t use it.

Let me rephrase then …..

In short ...... O2 over 40% becomes a potential dangerous gas to work with. O2 is a very flammable gas and under pressure it can and will ignite when in contact with contaminants . Let rather use … O2 is a oxidizer and it will cause most materials to burn given a high enough partial pressure.

Nope. You are still searching.

There is no such thing as "O2 over 40%".

O2 is pure Oxygen. There are no ways to qualify it as a percentage of anything other than what it is.

Also and most important: O2 will never "cause" anything to burn.

O2 does not burn. And partial pressure has nothing to do with it.

Do not think that diesel engine is a good example in diesel engine the temperature is around 500c. Yes it's created by pressure but it is way too far from the room temperature to be an illustrative example for your post:)

I think you misunderstood my original post,

Starting a diesel engine you have air and fuel at "room temp"

the air which is at room temp is compressed rapidly, the "500 deg C" is resultant from rapid compression. The formula PV=nRT is the mathematical explanation of this.

The inverse of this is easily observable by taking a tank that is at approx ambient temp to the touch and allowing it to rapidly expel air for a short period of time. The tank will then feel cool to the touch.

Your 70 deg F tank has rapidly become 30 deg F without throwing it into the freezer or using any other external source for cooling. The same PV=nRT principle applies.

Going back to the diesel analogy, if you do not inject the fuel into the engine at the upstroke the air inside the chamber will return to approx the same starting temp when it returns to approx the same starting volume.

"heat" is a fiat assignment we give to describe the rate of molecular motion. It is not a true characteristic of our surroundings.

Nope. You are still searching.

There is no such thing as "O2 over 40%".

O2 is pure Oxygen. There are no ways to qualify it as a percentage of anything other than what it is.

Also and most important: O2 will never "cause" anything to burn.

O2 does not burn. And partial pressure has nothing to do with it.

I agree with all of this except for

"Also and most important: O2 will never "cause" anything to burn. "

While not necessarily incorrect, it is rather misleading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom