O2 clean tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A burst disk is not going to prevent a failure of a tank due to an "internal combustion" and was never designed to. It vents the tank if the tank is grossly overpressurized to keep it from reaching failure pressure. Like if the tank is exposed to fire, it will rapidly increase in pressure, so the burst disk pops at 5000 psi and vents the tank so it dosen't pop like a balloon at 12,000 psi. If you really want to know why burst disks are important, ask a firefighter if he wants to go into your house to put it out if he knows there is a tank in there without one.

Yes, I quite understand the reasoning for using a burst disc in a compressed gas tank. My point was that it is ironic that the burst disc was developed and installed in order to prevent the catastrophic destruction of a tank due to overpressurization, while the issue with using high O2 percentages creates the potential for a catastrophic destruction of a tank due to overpressurization (albeit because of a separate issue).

Thus, if the concern is due to external stimuli, then a burst disc is absolutely necessary. If the concern is due to internal stimuli, then I would argue that the burst disc is effectively meaningless. In the real world, we have to be concerned about both, so the utilization of a burst disc is certainly valid and recommended.

For what it's worth, it is quite unrealistic to think that a tank could be equipped with a burst disc capable of venting the required amount of gas in the required time to avoid a catastrophic failure due to internal stimuli because of the size requirement of the opening.

For what it's worth, it is quite unrealistic to think that a tank could be equipped with a burst disc capable of venting the required amount of gas in the required time to avoid a catastrophic failure due to internal stimuli because of the size requirement of the opening.

You and I agree completely. Which is a product of both of us being right :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom