O2 clean tank question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since O2 dont burn, I will have to use it the next time there is a fire that needs killing. :D

Oxygen does not burn, oxygen facilitates the burning of other things. The fire triangle calls for heat, fuel and oxygen. Take away any one and you don't have a fire. With just heat and oxygen, no fire. There has to be some sort of fuel.

That is why tanks and valves are O2 cleaned. In order to remove any material (especially hydrocarbons) that could become fuel when exposed to heat and oxygen.

This is also why you should make fills using high percentages of O2 slowly. The faster the fill, the more heat generated. This is especially true in the valves.

Since O2 dont burn, I will have to use it the next time there is a fire that needs killing. :D

Oxygen is and oxidizer, not a fuel.

Combustion and other hazards
An inside of some device, charred and apparently destroyed.
Pure O2 at higher than normal pressure and a spark led to a fire and the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[110] Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but the oxidant. Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.

Concentrated O2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[110] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[110] The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew on a test launch pad spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure O2 but at slightly more than atmospheric pressure, instead of the 1⁄3 normal pressure that would be used in a mission.[111][112]

Liquid oxygen spills, if allowed to soak into organic matter, such as wood, petrochemicals, and asphalt can cause these materials to detonate unpredictably on subsequent mechanical impact.[110] As with other cryogenic liquids, on contact with the human body it can cause burns to the skin and the eyes.

ELAN: I am glad you undertsood what I was trying to say. I also learn some new things here daily.

As pointed out O2 does not burn. You might consider changing your avatar until you understand this.

Sea Level Scuba in Melbourne does Blended fills. He's got a really nice Nuvair system. He doesn't bank, but can offer you any custon EAN mix you want. All of my fills have always been accurate to .1% O2 and he can get pretty close with helium too. He blends up to %36 I think. It may be 40 without pp but I forget. His shop is 2 min off of exit 183. Prob around a 35 -40 min drive for you. Nitrox cards for $70-$85 depending on which tanks you have.

I see your diving HP 100 and 120. He can get those cold filled to 3500 as well. I know JND scuba pushes HP tanks on its customers so he must be able to get to 3500 too.
Membrane filtering?

Nitrox Systems - Dive Shop Nitrox Packages I think it's the cmopressor in Package #2 with the Trimix option on it.

It uses a membrane system for enriching the air.
Membrane filtering just rocks. No worries about o2 cleaning or banking. Just nice fresh nitrox into any tank with no hassle :D

Technically it dont make EAN though as it dont enrich the air, but deprive it of nitrogen :p

Sad to see so such low humour levels .......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom