O/W rescue scenarios, looking for input

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sol

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks:

Heading south in a few days to complete my PADI Rescue Diver course. I'll be using a Halcyon BP/W setup -- been tinkering with it and modifying it to the point where I've got it pretty much set for tropical diving (removed the weighted insert from the STA, did some pool time with my 2mm shorty, and I float at eye level with the wing empty and nothing on my waist, no weight in the IWS pockets, lungs full, maybe add a pound or two to compensate for the salt water, empty tank, etc.).

Question: The rig doesn't really have any pockets, and there's no room on the waist strap for additional slide-ons. Having dived with it in cold water (STA insert, extra weight, 14 mm of neoprene and all), I've really grown to like it, and wouldn't go back to a jacket-style BCD without an extremely compelling reason. But for Rescue scenarios, you obviously need to be able to carry your reel, your pocket mask, and your inflatable safety sausage. Without D-rings up the yinyang and bits of gear hanging off everything, where do you keep it all? Any suggestions?

(Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize, and I'd understand if you wanted to move it to someplace you think more appropriate. :dork2:)

I have pockets on my drysuit for cold water diving and pockets on a pair of shorts that I wear over my wetsuit for warm water diving.

Won't dive without them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pockets on your exposure suit is the most popular/logical solution. Either get glue/sewn pockets for your wetsuit or invest in a pair of X-shorts (neoprene shorts with pockets, worn over your wetsuit or by themselves).

Halcyon-Tek-Shorts.jpgxsscubashorts.jpg

A spool and DSMB can be stowed on the rear crotch-strap D-ring also. That permits easy access, whilst retaining stream-lining and preventing 'danglies'. Halcyon also sell a dedicated DSMB sleeve that fits on your backplate..

gear-storage-pouch.jpg

You could also get a pocket for the waist-band of the BP&W.

pioneer_profile1.2.jpg9849db76f9.gif

Ive used both the Dive Rite thigh pockets, and the pocket shorts. Pocket shorts win for sure! The thigh pockets are just annoying at times when they fall down your leg as you are getting set up.

BTW its possible to do anything in rescue in a BPW and long hose, despite what some instructors may tell you. The underwater removal and re-don is a good exercise in getting your hoses sorted out too :)

Thanks all, for your suggestions. I think it'll have to be the shorts in the long term, as I've no room for anything else on the waistband. In the short term, I might just have to use one of the rental jacket BCDs.

Reels you can carry on a 'D' ring behind you on the crotch strap [take a look at some of the divers on 'Youtube' on cave dives ]......They make 'pockets' that can be attached to the left/right inside of your bp for your SMB/mask..........You'll be stream-lined and only need to add 1 'D' ring behind you.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom