o-ring lubrication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pegger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a new camera owner, Sealife DC500. I've only had it out on about six or so dives and was wondering, what factor does lubricant on the o-ring have with helping the housing seal.
I was told by Sealife that as long as the o-ring is still plyable and in good condition, lubrication is not needed.

Regards,
Steve

Pegger:
I'm a new camera owner, Sealife DC500. I've only had it out on about six or so dives and was wondering, what factor does lubricant on the o-ring have with helping the housing seal.
I was told by Sealife that as long as the o-ring is still plyable and in good condition, lubrication is not needed.

Regards,
Steve

Did O-ring lubricant come with the camera?

A lightly greased housing O-ring prevents it from "rolling" or "pinching" when you close the housing door.

I can't speak for Sealife but I can't think of a housing O-ring that doesn't require greasing.

Hopefully someone here with a Sealife will answer your question.

Lube is only to assist in installation. In other applications (DO NOT use this on your camera housing). I use stuff called DC-55 and some stuff called Vacuum grease (like vasoline) it causes the oring to stick, really handy if the oring is in a blind hole.

I am on my second camera now which is a powershot a620. For each housing I use silicone grease and I believe that it will prolong the life of the ring and also it will act as a barrier to water egress.

I will also add:

You should use the grease that is provoded by the manufacturer because it is compatible with the O-ring material.

I say this from experience. I used generic silicone grease on my Olympus main O-ring and it stretched out after about 15 uses. Come to find out that the O-ring is made of silicone rubber and silicone grease breaks it down.

The Olympus grease is marked on the label as "Silicone Grease only for Silicone rubber O-ring". That led me to believe I could use pure silicone grease. NOT SO. The Oly grease is made in Japan and what is lost in the English translation on the label is the fact the grease is not silicone grease but instead grease for silicone rubber.

The silicone grease is to assist the o-ring slipping into it's proper place, and really plays no role in creating the seal itself. In fact, too much grease may compromise the seal, so be sure to follow manufacturer's recommendation on how to grease the o-ring - which is to usually use a small amount of grease and lightly coat the o-ring so that it is shiny and no grease should be visibile on the o-ring itself.

No grease came with the camera and I've looked high and low for written instructions with no luck.
Thanks for the imput, I will contact Sealife for clear instructions.

Cheers,
Steve

Whether or not it needs to be greased is pretty easy to identify. IF the 2 mating surfaces come in flat contact with each other without having to slide together there is no need of grease. If I remember correctly, most Ike housing are this way. On the other hand if they slide past each other, grease is required so the mating surfaces and the O-ring slide past each other easily. If they are dry the O-ring tends to roll rather than slide. My OLY housing and my old MX-10 do require grease.

Yes, you are not supposed to lubricate the o-ring in the Sealife DC500. I never have and have had no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom