Nylon Webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep

The main reason that the home sewing machine doesn't work is the thread. The thread for the webbing is thick and rigid. I have tried it with the home sewing machine, but it was always jammed.

Final product back from shoe shop. Came out great!!!!!

I would not recommend sewing resin reinforced webbing, or even heavy ballastic nylon fabrics on a "home" sewing machine.

Good chance you will break the machine, causing domestic discord, greatly reducing the chances of getting the "weekend pass" neccessary to go diving. :wink:

There are a number of differences between a homw machine and what we use to sew heavy materials.

The motor on most home machines is about the size of your fist, on a commercial machine it's about 6 inches in diameter, a foot long, and has a clutch.

The needles are thicker, the hook is timed differently, and the bobbin are usually much larger.

The material feed can be very different. Home machines use a "presser foot" that holds the material against a feed plate below the needle.

Commercial machines for heavy goods actually feed with both the needle, the feet, and the feed plate. These are called "compound feed" or "walking foot, walking needle" machines.

With the right needle, #138 bonded nylon thread, and the right machine timing you can sew wooden yard sticks together........

This is what the local shoe repairman usually has. Go see him, it's money well spent.

Tobin

This project is a weight harness. Belts tend to slip off me.

I wear 40lbs into the water and wanted to put 18lbs of that weight onto a fixed harness with the other 22 integrated on my BC.

The harness uses all 2lb weights to spread the weight out and not bulk up under the BC.

It’s custom fitted to my body with no releases on the front as in commercial products.

With only 18 lbs on the harness I am still + buoyant if I dump the BC weights.

I’ve got a bit more work to go. I'll post a picture of the full harness when completed.

Most weight harness systems I am familiar with for use with scuba have the ability to drop weight when needed. Are you using this with a drysuit? 40 pounds seems like a lotta lead. Unless you are diving umbilicals with surface supplied air and a helmet, I would stay away from weight I could not drop in an emergency. The DUI harness is a good example. I also prefer to split up my weight when diving drysuits. Many divers who end up in trouble do so at the surface. If your drysuit should flood and you make it up, you might have to ditch all your weight. I don't know what kind of set up you are using so I may be off base, but I would recommend a set up like the DUI harness. It is comfortable, allows you to split your weight if you want and can be ditched quickly in an emergency.

james croft:
Most weight harness systems I am familiar with for use with scuba have the ability to drop weight when needed. Are you using this with a drysuit? 40 pounds seems like a lotta lead. Unless you are diving umbilicals with surface supplied air and a helmet, I would stay away from weight I could not drop in an emergency. The DUI harness is a good example. I also prefer to split up my weight when diving drysuits. Many divers who end up in trouble do so at the surface. If your drysuit should flood and you make it up, you might have to ditch all your weight. I don't know what kind of set up you are using so I may be off base, but I would recommend a set up like the DUI harness. It is comfortable, allows you to split your weight if you want and can be ditched quickly in an emergency.

No, this is a wet suit, so I have no flooding issues. I agree that that would be dangerous.

I’m in a 2x 7mm suit and possible 5mm core warmer. The total weight may vary but the 50/50 split is the idea.

I can easily install 2 buckles and make it droppable, but please amplify on why?
With 1/2 my weight gone I'd think* I'd float fine even with a flooded BC.
Is my thinking flawed here?

*And I'd sure as heck test it in shallow water before I went deeper.

Finished harness.

6lbs fixed in rear.
3 XS Scuba pockets on each side.

( Ignore interested cat! )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom