Nylon-braided regulator hose diving emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Redshift

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw this circulating today.
Out of gas situation due to plastic debris blocking gas passage to the second stage.

From Andy Davis at Scuba Tech Philippines Technical Diving Articles | Techniques | Knowledgebase

WARNING!
Yesterday I had to complete an emergency air-sharing ascent (real) with a technical diving student because neither of his regulators was delivering sufficient gas.
Both cylinders were full and valves fully open. Both regs purged. The regs (Apeks Tek3) were functional and clean. Cylinders and cylinder valves were fine (tested with other regs).
On descent the work of breathing increased until it became virtually impossible to breathe (~18m). I verified this by breathing both (long and short hose) regulators myself. It was puzzling.
On inspection today, his 2nd stage regulator connections were full of plastic debris, which dramatically impeded gas flow into the 2nd stages.
This plastic debris was attributed to degradation inside the regulator hoses, which were generic/unbranded nylon-braid type. It is believed that these hoses have a plastic lining inside the hose which breaks down over time.
This incident could have been potentially fatal and required gas-donation rescue.
Please be aware of this issue with nylon braided regulator hoses!

11745567_1032789553399785_2025417337105449322_n.jpg
10671269_1032789596733114_4671692440910993866_n.jpg

Don't know what kind of lining these hoses have, but this seems very weird.

i saw this too...unbelievable...

Saw this circulating today.
Out of gas situation due to plastic debris blocking gas passage to the second stage.

From Andy Davis at Scuba Tech Philippines Technical Diving Articles | Techniques | Knowledgebase

View attachment 213256
View attachment 213257

Don't know what kind of lining these hoses have, but this seems very weird.
I had the same problem early in the year. Approx 20m when breathing became difficult. I aborted my dive and when I took into the LDS they cut it open and found that the inner lining of the braided hose was all perished. The hose was about 5yrs old and the reg had been serviced about 2mths before that dive.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

On descent the work of breathing increased until it became virtually impossible to breathe (~18m). I verified this by breathing both (long and short hose) regulators myself. It was puzzling.

Got it, but seems strange that both second stages failed at the same time :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom