NY Diver drowned yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The timeline in this article, if true, suggests that he was in the water for 4 hours before his GF who wasn't there called the police because he was overdue.
My question is, what about the two people who were there with him? Why did they wait for the police to arrive to ask for help? Doesn't sound logical to wait for 3 hours after a guy was supposed to surface to sound the alarm.

All great questions that are being asked locally. No one seems to have answers yet. I have never been to this dive site, but Ive read numerous counts of the dives on various postings and it seems to me that some members of this group bragged about safety and planning...but it appears that safety and planning may have played a part in this one.....

yes he was on his p2, he was a Very COMPETENT diver , we all miss him , not sure if we will ever know what really happened , if it was entanglement I find it VERY hard to be believe he panicked he was NOT that kind of guy .........steve

Unfortunately we will probably never know.

Not sure if this should go in condolences or what, but since interested people are reading this thread, and since we don't have much to discuss about the accident yet...

If you are so inclined, Bob's girlfriend has notified us of a charitable campaign in his memory, supporting an organization that helps protect the world's oceans. Oceana scores four out of four stars on the Charity Navigator site, and sending them a few bucks is a great way to honor Bob and the seas that he loved.

http://oceana.org/BobThomas

I'm having a hard time with this, continually.

I have many "loose ends" regarding the timeline...

I still can't sleep well with the persistent thought it didn't have to end like this...

Any comments are welcome through PM, or publicly.

Help me understand why this is OK.

A GUE Mentor and friend helped me understand that who is your surface support is also critically important and not a choice made lightly.

Please, if not locked up by authorities, let's have more details and an honest discussion about it.

Many of us need this. My family needs me to be able to move on from this and I have as yet been unable.

Question. Persist.

Do better.

I'm having a hard time with this, continually.

I have many "loose ends" regarding the timeline...

I still can't sleep well with the persistent thought it didn't have to end like this...

Any comments are welcome through PM, or publicly.

Help me understand why this is OK.

A GUE Mentor and friend helped me understand that who is your surface support is also critically important and not a choice made lightly.

Please, if not locked up by authorities, let's have more details and an honest discussion about it.

Many of us need this. My family needs me to be able to move on from this and I have as yet been unable.

Question. Persist.

Do better.

I took a ten year hiatus from cave diving after a particularly bad year where I had to bury two friends. I can completely empathize with the thoughts you were going through and for those of you that lost a good friend, my condolences.

Yesterday, on another forum, a copy of the on-scene police report was released. I read through it several times and still can't wrap my head around a few of the things in it. I'm posting it here because I believe there are indeed some lessons to be learned about choosing surface support and dive partners carefully.

Dan Wright Report.jpeg

I know very little about cave diving, and almost noting about this case besides what was written, and the link @kensuf posted just prior to my comment here.

With that said, my mind is spinning after reading the on-scene police report. Something is not right here, his buddies/ surface support should be called in to answer some questions about their actions...

Lastly, I pray his friends and family can find closure...

Oh ya, we thought we could look for him tomorrow???? Most likely wouldn't change the outcome if he was out solo, but kinda shocking. Hopefully it is just a bad report.

RIP Sir.

First of all, understand that is not a report. It's an incident narrative. All this does is describe what the responder(s) observed and was (were) told on scene initially. These are often not entirely correct and will be supplemented by various (and more complete) reports.

The report(s) you are looking for won't be released until the investigation is complete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom