Number one cause of diving fatalities?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was recently at a resort in Indonesia where there was a sign posted that stated the amount per kilo the diver would be charged if he failed to return weights. I cannot imagine the concern is divers packing them in their luggage for the flight home, so it would seem the policy is directed to ditched weights.
I work in a dive shop with a disappearing weights problem. We don't know where a of of them go, but we have never lost one that I know of through ditching. They are used primarily for students, and we don't check them out. The logistics of doing that whilst doing weight weight checks (etc.) is daunting. We do recover a lot that disappear because they disappear into BCD weight pockets, especially the trim pockets. Since the students use our BCDs, we regularly find them some time after they are returned to us. If the divers have their own gear and heads home, the weights go with them.

We also see weights accidentally dropped with some frequency. This happens especially when the students giant stride into the pool without holding onto their belts properly. Since this happens in the pool, it is a matter of picking the best up and reminding the student to hold onto the best buckle. If this happens on a dive boat, the weights are usually gone. It happened to me when I was on my first dive trip and did a back roll entry. I had a lousy rented weight belt, and the buckle opened when I hit the water. The weights were gone, and I was charged.

Your head is 15 pounds of ugly fat. Do you really want to be weighted so it will be out of the water with a tank that is low on air and no air in your BCD? If so, How do you hold a safety stop?

If I'm OOA, or so low as to be on the verge of running out, I'm not interested in holding a safety stop.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most folks diving wrecks around here own their own weights. Ditto I'm sure for the PNW and California. You're talking about a much larger subset in tropical waters. Good luck getting Caribbean operations to adopt this policy.
Nobody wants to fly to a dive site carrying a lot of lead in a suitcase. In the dive sites where most divers live nearby, that policy makes sense, but it makes no sense in which a sizable portion of the population has to travel to get there. The one time I dived in Southern California, I had to fly in. I had to rent weights. That's the only place I have ever dived where that happened.

I've read several "dive deaths" that cited heart faliure as the COD; it seems to depend on the coroner's knowlegde...or lack there-of!

While I can agree with your last comment, I think most experienced divers reading your posts will recognize that ....

I found this post extremely insightful, thanks for it. I have a few comments on areas not already covered upthread.

I'm not going to bash what or how the agencies teach ... although I have some issues with how they're often taught, I think the right skills get covered in class. What we fail to do ... usually do to time or cost constraints ... it provide the repetitions needed to ingrain the skills.

In my OWD classes we had all kinds of extra time. There were just two students in the pool sessions and just me and the instructor in the open water ones, so we moved through the skills quickly. We would have had time to run more repetitions, but didn't. In the pool sessions, my instructor let us swim around together while he was experimenting with a new FFM, and in the ocean, once we worked through the skills on the list, we just enjoyed the dive together, and my instructor made a halfhearted attempt to catch a lobster or two.

I think that's probably OK. Pedagogic theory would hold that skills are learned best with several series of repetitions separated by a day or two, so there are diminishing returns of just repeating the same skill on the same dive.

Nor to many instructors emphasize that diving is a situational activity, and there are no "checklists" of when you apply a given skill under all circumstances. There's a certain amount of judgment and good decision-making involved, and you don't learn those in a classroom.

Judgment is notoriously hard to teach. Some people never quite get it.

It's possible to teach good judgment by making up borderline cases and using them to get students to think critically. But many students will get overwhelmed and will just shut down if given something complex, and that's frustrating for them and the teacher, and it undermines confidence. It's also made difficult by tort law, because pieces of the lesson can be taken out of context.

...and that began the chain of events that ultimately led to a stressful situation ... often one that was completely within the diver's ability to correct ... that was mishandled.

OOA or failing to drop weights aren't the cause of the accident ... they're a symptom of the lack of judgment that ultimately led to it.

I would add to your comments that I believe that a contributing cause missing from many accident reports is that the diver was never really comfortable in the water, with or without scuba gear.

There are so many ways to think about accident prevention. I like to ask this question:

What is the easiest thing to change that would have prevented the accident?
Maybe conditioning divers to ditch weight is easier than teaching them judgment. I don't know.

If I'm OOA, or so low as to be on the verge of running out, I'm not interested in holding a safety stop.

That may be, but the converse isn't true: if I am interestred in holding a safety a safety stop with small-but-sufficient-num psi in my tank and no air in my bc, I do not want to be weighed so that my head bobs above water unless I exhale completely and cease breathing.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you were to conclude your safety stop with a fairly customary 500 PSI in an AL80, you would have one pound of air.

80/3000*500 = 13 cf

That's not much. Some people's buoyancy can change that much as the result of, how shall we say, the digestive process.

You do realize, don't you, that you can go to the DAN fatality reports yourself and read the details of these deaths for yourself rather than just speculating on what they might say?

Scuba Diving Accident Reports, Case Summaries, Incidents, Prevention | DAN
Yes, but I mention it because (I'd guess that) 99.9% of people who'd go to DAN's site are divers/in a field that relates to diving. We know a bit about "what's what;" perhaps more than many involved in the investigation into the death.

If you were to conclude your safety stop with a fairly customary 500 PSI in an AL80, you would have one pound of air.

According to the wiki of a thousand lies, tidal volume of healthy adult lungs is 0.5 litres which I'll equate to a pound for purposes of this discussion. Assuming I'm weighted perfectly and am breathing perfectly, with tank being -1, my breathing will cause buoyancy shift from -1.5 to -0.5. My inspiratory reserve volume is apparently 3.1 litres meaning if I do take a very deep breath I'll be -1.5 + 6 = +4.5 pounds. If I take a half-deep breath I'll be "only" +1.5 lbs. And while I can both control my breathing and hold a safety stop while positively buoyant, I personally don't find either of those things desirable while I'm splashing around a sunny tropical reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom