Number of dives vs. total bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....for keeping alogbook like I do. I like being able to lay my hands on just the type of info he posted. His logbook(s) are most impressive....and legendary!

Walter, in your log do you distinguish between professional dives & fun dives? I would be very interested to have a copy of your spreadsheet.

-kate

Dee,
Great thread. I've enjoyed reading it. Walter you're amazing. Thanks for keeping such good records.
Sounds like a fun thing to do on the next rainy day. I'll get my log book out and see if I can come up with some numbers too. Kinda hard though, cuz some are in my log book and some on my husband's computer. I do agree with Brady, the deep dives are going to make the bottom time not as long.
:sunny:

Walter

Your the envy of a diver around. That is some log book maintance you have there. I've been diving since "85", doing it professionally since "88". I'll log most but not all of the dives I am hired to do, I do have 972 logged with the deepest to 195 feet, this year I raised one 43 ft., 28000 lb fiberglass hulled houseboat out of 34 degree water, one 27 ft., 9500 lb sailboat, and one 16' ski boat, the two latter ones were summer dives. I also am a Master Instructor and those dives all must be logged. My total logged hours underwater is 717:32. Through the years I have no idea what I actually have for the # of dives or time underwater. For the newbes out there let this be a lesson, fifteen years from now you could be wondering the same thing.

Puddle Jumper

(planning on adding another 10 dives this weekend in Missouri)

Butch,

Keep diving. It wasn't that long ago (OK, it only seems like yesterday) that I was a new kid in this sport we all love. You'll be in 4 digits before you know it.

I have a fair amount of experience, but there are plenty of others with way more experience. I'm still learning. I try to learn from posts on this board and others. I try to learn from each dive I make (yes, I learned a few things this past Saturday) and I try to learn from other divers I meet. Even the most experienced of us can learn from every other diver we encounter.

Dee,

You know how I feel about you and "da Beast".

Everyone,

If you ever have the oportunity to meet Dee and/or her husband, Doug, jump at it. They are wonderful people as well as being excellent divers. I was lucky enough to meet Dee almost 3 years ago and Doug about 6 months later. My only regret is I don't see them often enough.

Kate,

When I first started teaching (1986), I used to make a note in logbook # 2, but I abandoned that practice. I do make note of what skills we work on in logbook # 1 in the narrative.

Natasha,

I enjoy numbers, it might not be as much fun unless you do as well.

Puddle,

We don't even want to get into deepest, coldest, longest, shortest, shallowest..........or do we? I'm impressed with your recoveries. When I was relatively new to diving and doing my internship towards my divemaster cert (1985) I was working with Bob. Bob was one of my mentors and taught me a great deal by example and from long discussions. Bob started diving the year I was born, but even back then I had more logged dives. He had never logged a dive. He would tell me he wished he had kept a log from the beginning. There was a man with interesting stories. I lost track of Bob almost 10 years ago and I'd really love to make contact with him again. He's a world class diver with very few peers.

Copies of the spreadsheet are on their way to Kate & Martinjc.

WWW™

Walter, same to you Sweety. And I agree, we don't get to see each other often enough.

WOW!! What a great thread. This is my first sesson diving and have completed my AOW cert just a few weeks ago. I have been keeping a general log because I have to but this thread has inspired me to a whole new level. I'm sure it's very rewarding to look back over the many dives one has and to be able to see the variety of experiences. Walter you are amazing and I would enjoy seeing a copy of your spread sheet.

NJDiver_34

Practice makes perfect... sometimes!

You know as I read the thread, the observation about the two divers who looked so good suiting up struck me as funny. I have joint problems with my hips and knees... sometimes I make people laugh as I put on my fins. Everything else, I do just fine. Yes, I am doing those stupid (note the bitterness) stretchy excercises. Never judge a diver totally by how he puts on his gear.

:tease:

Or the silly songs he writes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom