Number of dives vs. total bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How many of you keep up with your total bottom time? It's always interesting to me to know how much time someone has spent under water compared to how many dives they have. When diving with someone I don't know, it gives me more of an idea of their experience than just the number of dives they've done. Example....Has that person's 100 dives all been done in the local quarry at 30ft or less, 20 minutes at a time?

For instance, I keep two logbooks...one for pleasure diving and one for divemastering. The DM logbook has 153 dives in it but only a total of 83 hours (modified to correct) of total bottom time, most dives are 30min. or less.

But the pleasure logbook has 371 dives with 346hr. 38min (14 days, 10 hrs, 38min) of bottom time.

I know there's not a perfect way to judge someone's diving ability other than to dive with them, but this may narrow it down a bit. I mean no offense to quarry divers...I are one! :wink:

Can you tell I'm bored and have been futzing with my logbook this morning? :D

Now I know why I have no interest in being a DM. Apparently
there is no pleasure in it according to Dee (based on her state-
ment that she keeps two logs). All of my dives are pleasure dives.

Originally posted by Stone
Dee,

Do you mean 83 hours?

Uh...yea. Even a math weenie like me should have caught that one! :D

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi
Now I know why I have no interest in being a DM. Apparently
there is no pleasure in it according to Dee (based on her state-
ment that she keeps two logs). All of my dives are pleasure dives.

Green, somehow I knew someone was gonna take it like that! Indeed, all my diving is pleasurable. Maybe I should have said fun with students and fun with others logs. :mean:

my dives still average 28 minutes

need to just figure out how to change a tank and Reg at depth

I have 153 dives logged averaging 48 minutes on each. That is a total of 7344 minutes, or 122.4 hours, or 5.1 days under water, with 1.3 of those spent at a deco stop.

BTW, dee you are correct about the quarrys since I started diving in a quarry my average bottom time has dropped by about 10 minutes. ;-0

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom