Novice seeking advice on one week Sept. SE asia trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlabroad

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
This is my first posting on the boards thanks in advance for the advice provided. I'm moving back to the US in early Sept. and am currently living in Shanghai. I am looking to squeeze about a 5-8 day dive trip into my return as a little final hurrah for my time in Asia.

I received my open water certification recently on Koh Tao and have done 10 dives. My main concerns are cost (especially flights mainland China doesnt make it cheap), seeing the best marine life possible for my skill level, and the potential to get my advanced open water cert. Wrecks would be a plus as well. I'd also prefer not to do too much traveling to and from the major airports as my window is short. I await your wise advice

Good on ya! One final hurrah! Since you are leaving Asia, you really should go to Sipadan off the coast of Sabah. One of the top dive destinations in Asia if not the world. Im not doing all your homework for you so do google. Enjoy the warm water diving while u can!

Plenty of cheap flights to Philippines.
Try Moalboal which is only 2-3 hrs from Cebu airport. The diving is NOT that great if compare with other well known places in the country but
1. All the diving sites are near by.
2. Easy wall dive for any level of divers.
3. The general cost is quite economical.
4. Various places to eat.
5. In-expensive public transfer.

I'm going to offer the suggestion of Bali. From Shanghai there are easy connections, and the diving is really nice. I'd say Tulamben would be the best area for you since there's the wreck of the Liberty and wonderful marine life. You could also get a daytrip over to Nusa Penida to see some manta rays.

If you are interested in Visiting the Philippines, check out Cebu Pacific Airlines they have pretty cheap flights to and within the Philippines. Look at the website for some very cheap fares. Lots of potential destinations, spend some time searching through the Philippine Paradis Divers forum if you hae any specific questions let me know...

Cheers
Roger

Good on ya! One final hurrah! Since you are leaving Asia, you really should go to Sipadan off the coast of Sabah. One of the top dive destinations in Asia if not the world. Im not doing all your homework for you so do google. Enjoy the warm water diving while u can!
Air Asia has cheap flights to sipadan from Shenzhen.

You could also go to the Maldives, direct flights from Guangzhou with China Southern

If you have plenty of time, try Raja Ampat or Komodo on Live aboard in Indonesia. If you don't, you might want to go to Tulamben or Gili Trawangan. I'd prefer Gili Trawangan, since there are too many divers on the wrecks in Tulamben.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom