Question Advice on Divemaster course in Philippines - April 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a ton for your reply.

Yes. Going deeper into the theory was definitely something I was hoping for. This is a tad disheartening :) - also there are a few skills that I feel I am not improving on despite accumulating more dives, and I was working under the impression that the DM course would help solve for them.

The first is navigation. As a recreational diver, almost every dive is at a new site. Despite how much I try and study the dive-site map on the boat before the dive, once I'm underwater in 10 - 15 m viz, a few mins in to the dive, it is really hard to know where exactly I am and how to navigate my way around. I'm quite lost and hopelessly dependent on my DM/instructor. This is a huge gap in my skill set currently.

The second is safety, but it seems like the rescue course is good enough for that.

The third improvement area is to really perfect my propulsion techniques and buoyancy. While my trim, buoyancy etc. has certainly gotten better as I've gotten more experienced, I still look on with envy at some instructors I dive with, and really admire how elegant they look and move underwater. I tried signing on for a Peak Perf. Buoyancy course in Dahab, but they dismissed me, saying I didn't need it, and that I should just keep diving. I did do my Deep Dive and Nitrox with them though. I would however love to perfect techniques like back-finning etc. and the art of truly staying perfectly still underwater.

I am definitely keen to get into tec diving, but I'm rarely at sites that allow for tec diving, or ever visit locations where there are dive shops that support tec-diving. That's why I figured I would push it out for later. But if tec courses impart far more rigorous skill development, then I suppose that's worth considering.

I've definitely considered the GUE Fundies course. But I'm a little apprehensive of the pre-req to buy and own all the equipment. I don't live near the sea, and with a flight needed for all my dive vacations, travelling with a full dive kit just seems a little much for a recreational diver. 🤷‍♂️

To clarify, dive theory, physics and physiology aren't required for PADI DMs. You could take the SDI DM eLearning. The eLearning is better coverage those topics than the PADI material I learned in my IDC.

If you want to take you diving to the next level, that's really going to be tech training.

Just completed my DM in December, there is some theory in the e-learning that I did but not everything I wanted to learn. I think the most important skills you get out of DM training is watching others, anticipating problems, and being in a spot to intervene before something becomes a Big Problem Underwater. Situational awareness.

For underwater navigation, my friend/dive instructor spent a lot of time tormenting me with a compass and "where's the boat/exit point" drills whenever we are diving together. It takes practice. Wear a compass all the time and set headings so you feel comfortable doing it. Be mindful of landmarks and kick distances/times so you know how far you went and when it's appropriate to return. The more you do it, the more confident you get.

For control in the water, I know for me it has just been more diving, a lot of diving, diving in different situations, and diving with a camera. I got started with a Big Camera very early on in diving (only 100 dives) and I was struggling to control buoyancy and take pictures. I persisted. I got better. I dove in the Maldives with the huge camera in currents. (You would not believe how much drag a camera causes.) Buoyancy improved. And then I came back to the Caribbean and did some dives in calm water without the camera and something clicked. My buoyancy was perfect. Hover in position to photograph something small without touching anything. Cross legs and hold fins and adjust position in water column with breathing. Flip upside down to look under ledges. It was all about getting my weighting perfect and being comfortable in the water. I cannot describe the feelings of joy in the weightlessness and ease of movement that good buoyancy brings.

All in all, I'm glad I have a divemaster rating although I probably won't use it (you can't teach discover scuba, but you can take them out on their dives after they've done the course.) I love demoing skills and I am happy to be of service to my instructor because he's awesome and I want to make his life easier. I really love leading dives and finding critters for people, and it gave me a chance to focus on that skill rather than always being with my camera.

Right now I am feeling the call to tech diving so strongly, just waiting for the right time/place/instructor. There's a lot of deco theory videos on YouTube that I have enjoyed watching that explain basics and beyond.

Just completed my DM in December, there is some theory in the e-learning that I did but not everything I wanted to learn. I think the most important skills you get out of DM training is watching others, anticipating problems, and being in a spot to intervene before something becomes a Big Problem Underwater. Situational awareness.

For underwater navigation, my friend/dive instructor spent a lot of time tormenting me with a compass and "where's the boat/exit point" drills whenever we are diving together. It takes practice. Wear a compass all the time and set headings so you feel comfortable doing it. Be mindful of landmarks and kick distances/times so you know how far you went and when it's appropriate to return. The more you do it, the more confident you get.

For control in the water, I know for me it has just been more diving, a lot of diving, diving in different situations, and diving with a camera. I got started with a Big Camera very early on in diving (only 100 dives) and I was struggling to control buoyancy and take pictures. I persisted. I got better. I dove in the Maldives with the huge camera in currents. (You would not believe how much drag a camera causes.) Buoyancy improved. And then I came back to the Caribbean and did some dives in calm water without the camera and something clicked. My buoyancy was perfect. Hover in position to photograph something small without touching anything. Cross legs and hold fins and adjust position in water column with breathing. Flip upside down to look under ledges. It was all about getting my weighting perfect and being comfortable in the water. I cannot describe the feelings of joy in the weightlessness and ease of movement that good buoyancy brings.

All in all, I'm glad I have a divemaster rating although I probably won't use it (you can't teach discover scuba, but you can take them out on their dives after they've done the course.) I love demoing skills and I am happy to be of service to my instructor because he's awesome and I want to make his life easier. I really love leading dives and finding critters for people, and it gave me a chance to focus on that skill rather than always being with my camera.

Right now I am feeling the call to tech diving so strongly, just waiting for the right time/place/instructor. There's a lot of deco theory videos on YouTube that I have enjoyed watching that explain basics and beyond.
I infer from this that there's not much to the DiveMaster qualification. Not much in terms of core skills, theory, etc. Almost a Rescue Diver ++

Technical diving on the other hand is all about the skills and the theory regardless if you go deep or in overhead environments. A lot more interesting too.

Thanks NootFish. This is super helpful.

Do you think the underwater navigation course can help with this? This course doesn't have a great rep in general - and gets knocked as being quite useless - so I've always been in two minds about it. Another option perhaps is to just find an instructor and learn and practice these skills with them (as you seem to have done).

This sounds absolutely delightful and definitely aligned with what my goals are as well. You've articulated it far better than I could have. Really keen to get to that level of almost effortless and graceful movement underwater.

Yeah. I'm definitely swayed by the arguments to consider GUE Fundies and Introductory tech diving courses, apart from just a lot of concentrated diving and seeking guidance from an trusted instructor.

I infer from this that there's not much to the DiveMaster qualification. Not much in terms of core skills, theory, etc. Almost a Rescue Diver ++

Technical diving on the other hand is all about the skills and the theory regardless if you go deep or in overhead environments. A lot more interesting too.
If you want skills, do tech diving, and do it with an instructor who won't pass you until you're ready. Have the talk with them saying "I'm giving you money to build skills, not to get a cert card, I will not be disappointed or angry if I don't get certified for anything new this time."

The PADI Dive Theory e-learning that you take as a kinda optional part of divemaster has physics, theory, and a lot of things that I enjoyed learning. You can take just that course and not divemaster.

I did deep/night/search and recovery courses because my instructor wanted me to have more training in those aspects and he felt that the DM course didn't do them adequately. I'd never gotten to play with a lift bag, and I enjoyed the search & recovery stuff because it feels useful. (And we recovered our lost underwater laser pointer using my knowledge, hooray!) For any of those skills, take time to practice rescue skills, practice calming someone down in the water, sharing air/ascending, thinking about where everything you need in an emergency is... Whenever I'm on a dive trip, I ask around if anyone wants to practice something. Last liveaboard, my buddy had too much fun pretending to panic and stealing my regulator, and I'm a better diver for it.

This sounds absolutely delightful and definitely aligned with what my goals are as well. You've articulated it far better than I could have. Really keen to get to that level of almost effortless and graceful movement underwater.

Yeah. I'm definitely swayed by the arguments to consider GUE Fundies and Introductory tech diving courses, apart from just a lot of concentrated diving and seeking guidance from an trusted instructor.
Seems that @NootFish has learned the core skills through persistence rather than being taught. Fundies -- and other mentoring by accomplished divers -- will teach you about the core skills and, more importantly IMHO, will demonstrate what a diver with superb core skills (buoyancy, finning and trim) looks like.

And one little thing I can think of that changed everything for me was being correctly weighted. Everyone tells you this, but it's so true! Having weight such that you just add a few puffs of air in your BCD when you get to the depth you want to be. Less air in the BCD means less variation with depth and it's much easier to stay neutral. At some point in diving, your breathing starts to automatically compensate for your buoyancy and you think about it a lot less. It becomes instinct.

Do you think the underwater navigation course can help with this? This course doesn't have a great rep in general - and gets knocked as being quite useless - so I've always been in two minds about it. Another option perhaps is to just find an instructor and learn and practice these skills with them (as you seem to have done).
I haven't taken underwater nav course, just dove with an instructor who thinks everyone needs to improve their navigation so he teaches anyone willing. I haven't taken course with SSI or other agencies, but I think for any course the instructor matters, and you want one who will go above and beyond what is in the course syllabus and push you to mastery of the skills.

As with anything, proficiency, confidence, and comfort take time to develop. Taking a course is the beginning of acquiring skills. :) Then you go out into the world and use them as often as possible!

Hey Everyone.

Excited to hear that the Philippines has opened up and am hoping to fulfil a long awaited goal of getting my Dive Master (+Rescue) certification.

Quick background - I'm AOW / Deep / Nitrox with ~150 dives across Asia, over the past 6-7 years. My goal of enrolling in the paid divemaster course, is not to consider going down the professional career track, but really to spend 3 weeks getting deeper into theory and scuba physics, and focus on intensively learning and practicing skills - hopefully becoming a more skilled and more aware diver, at the end of the three weeks. I did also consider if it would be better getting into technical diving instead, but given my usual dive locations, I'm not sure that would be be very helpful right now - and it was conversations with lots of DMs and instructors during my fun dives, which has nudged me down this path.

I also really enjoy introducing people to diving. Have taken around 50 people from my office, to do their DSDs and several of them have gone to get their OWs and AOWs. I'm quite passionate about the under-water world and love to evangelize it. I believe a DM course will help me be a better diver - navigation, dive planning, safety etc. - and additionally, will also give me an opportunity to help out more novice divers, a bit more confidently. Would love to hear your thoughts on this.

That being said, diving in the Philippines has been on my bucket list for years, and I would love to get some recommendations on some of the best instructors / dive-shops, I should be reaching out to check with or locations to spend 3-4 weeks.

Hope to hear back. Thanks in advance!
Liquid or atmosphere in dauin.

Thanks a ton for your reply. Yes. Going deeper into the theory was definitely something I was hoping for. This is a tad disheartening :) - also there are a few skills that I feel I am not improving on despite accumulating more dives, and I was working under the impression that the DM course would help solve for them.

I don't live near the sea, and with a flight needed for all my dive vacations, travelling with a full dive kit just seems a little much for a recreational diver. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with Wibble I also dive in the Philippines a lot. PG is a good choice but 3 - 4 weeks for a DM course is really short many are 2 months. Panglao Bohol also a very good dive area. I would recommend you do the rescue course followed by a couple of days diving then do the TDI Advanced Nitrox and extended range as you have Nitrox already.

I live in the mountains in Taiwan and have to travel to dive. Some places I dive I do not need to pay for rental kits as a regular customer but I would bring my BCD and regs and mask but use their booties and fins. Other times in Asia I bring everything and most airlines allow to you pay for an extra 20kg checked in baggage for around US$15 or less.

I have been diving since 1986 and have done BSAC Sports diving ( includes deco diving ) and PADI rescue but I never did the BSAC DM course as it is not necessary even to become good at navigation. I would do the TDI advanced Deco and extended range. You will learn a lot more about gradient factors and gas planning that you would not get in a DM course. GF and gas planning also applies to NDL and DECO recreational diving.

I usually take dive vacations where I do 40 dives over 2 weeks and take several vacations a year. You certainly would improve if you did that but that may not be an option for you.

Back
Top Bottom