November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolesorchard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are heading to Texas in early November and hope to get a couple of dives in. I posted earlier about the Flower Garden Banks and I guess that is out. What would you suggest? Flying into DFW but willing to drive, prefer salt to fresh.
Thanks

I have not been there yet but I hear the Comel river in Austin is warm, it is fresh water and only 15 feet or so deep, but that is what I am trying this winter.

The one thing I can say is if you are hoping for salt water, you are in for at least a 6+ hour drive each way. Now... If you just want a dip to get wet, you can always hit Clear Springs Scuba Park and that is only about 30 minutes east of Dallas. Lake Travis also seems to be pretty popular, and it's about 3.5 hours south of Dallas just outside of Austin. Those are the first two places that come to mind personally.

I dont have any experience with the Texas Clipper out of Corpus Christy (?) If you really want to drive that far, that may be an option for a day trip.

We are heading to Texas in early November and hope to get a couple of dives in. I posted earlier about the Flower Garden Banks and I guess that is out. What would you suggest? Flying into DFW but willing to drive, prefer salt to fresh.
Thanks

If you make it to Austin (Lake Travis) let me know and we will get you dialed in to some good local swamp diving. You will have many choices from wrecks, to cars or planes or sailboats all sitting on the bottom waiting to be explored.

Tomorrow we are going to check out a new house boat wreck not many have dove.

Let you know how that one goes.

my email is shawntv@austin.rr.com

:popcorn:

I dont have any experience with the Texas Clipper out of Corpus Christy (?) If you really want to drive that far, that may be an option for a day trip.

Clipper is out of South Padre Island... that's a haul from DFW.

American Diving

Clear Spring Scuba Park is in Terrell right? I am thinking of hitting Athens and Clear springs on Labor day weekend. Has anyone dove Clear Springs that would care to comment on it?

dolesorchard,
I see that you prefer salt water to fresh water. I see that you are from Maine. I see that you are flying into DFW airport. We need to recalibrate your distance measurements to Texas size. Lake Travis (Austin) is considered to be close (nearby) to D/FW. It is 3.5 hours away.

One saltwater dive might be something out of the Galveston TX area. That is approx. a 6 hour drive one-way from D/FW. Your next best saltwater option from D/FW is in Destin, FL. Yes. I said Florida. Your third closest salt water option would be South Padre Island / the Texas Clipper. South Padre is about an 11 hour drive from D/FW and yes it is still in Texas.

OK. Freshwater options. Most folks around DFW make very frequent (and short) drives to Clear Springs Scuba Park just outside Terrell TX. It's about 1 to 1-1/2 hours from Dallas. Other options exist. Lake Travis is real popular around here.

Then there is Lake Murray, Oklahoma. Athens Scuba Park in Athens, TX. The next freshwater dive option is about 5 hours away.

jalistair,
Check the dive conditions report "stickied" to the top of our forum. A bunch of us dive CSSP on a very regular basis.

LOL so that is what CSSP stands for!!!!! Thanks I have seen it all over the postings but figured it was about as foreign to me as LDS was :wink: Chat boards and all their supper uber secret acronyms!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom