November, the rainiest month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11/23 Turkey Thursday, no rain, gopher a night dive?

IMG_9372.jpeg
IMG_9321.jpeg
IMG_8964.jpeg
IMG_9280.jpeg

Continued paradise, thru Sunday 26th, just happy!

IMG_9534.jpeg
IMG_9533.png
IMG_9532.jpeg

At what point do they call the dives? I am hoping not just for a rain storm.

Three more weeks for me...
I was on the boats in June when they recalled all boats and cancelled the drop-off dives/shore dives for the remainder of the afternoon. Seas were running easily 7+ feet, with strong surface currents, and another boat had a near-incident that prompted the recall. (Ours did too; a diver surfaced early, removed his fins, then let go of the tag line and passive panicked, no SMB, was just drifting out to sea - the boat captain kept eyes on him bc the boat was still moored with active divers int he water all around...I just happened to surface at that point and coordinated with the captain to swim out, talk him into redonning his fins, and get him to drop down to 15' or so feet where the current subsided and you could easily swim back to the boat ladder).

I told the DM afterwards that here in Florida our boat operators cancel dives when seas start to run 4-6'. He literally thought I was joking,; had some very choice (and rather explicit haha!) words about our um lack of courage lol. CCV rarely cancels dives for conditions, but if they cancel, there's usually extremely good reason.

I was on the boats in June when they recalled all boats and cancelled the drop-off dives/shore dives for the remainder of the afternoon. Seas were running easily 7+ feet, with strong surface currents, and another boat had a near-incident that prompted the recall. (Ours did too; a diver surfaced early, removed his fins, then let go of the tag line and passive panicked, no SMB, was just drifting out to sea - the boat captain kept eyes on him bc the boat was still moored with active divers int he water all around...I just happened to surface at that point and coordinated with the captain to swim out, talk him into redonning his fins, and get him to drop down to 15' or so feet where the current subsided and you could easily swim back to the boat ladder).

I told the DM afterwards that here in Florida our boat operators cancel dives when seas start to run 4-6'. He literally thought I was joking,; had some very choice (and rather explicit haha!) words about our um lack of courage lol. CCV rarely cancels dives for conditions, but if they cancel, there's usually extremely good reason.
I'm not sure where you dive in Florida. The inlets vary considerably in Palm Beach Co. from Boynton Beach, to Jupiter, to Palm Beach. 3-5 ft, occasional 6 or 7 ft is often the limit for Boynton and Jupiter. Palm Beach is a bit more forgiving. Sounds like the conditions in Roatan were sporty, why would you put divers at risk? I have come back into the Boynton inlet in frightening conditions, not something you would do electively.

CCV very much has the approach of letting divers decide for themselves what they're comfortable with, whether that's solo diving or sporty seas. I appreciate that. They'll tell you what conditions look like, and DMs will often make recommendations (to individual divers) on whether or not they advise diving, and I've certainly elected to skip dives before. But 99% of the time, the boats go out and it's up to the diver to make the call. They try to pick sites based on conditions, and none of the boat rides are very far (5-10 min; with the exception of Mary's Place/Calvin's Crack).

And when it does get truly bad, they are willing to make the call and shut things down - just takes a lot to reach that point. The original question was about whether CCV would shut down diving due to rain, and the answer is almost certainly not.

CCV very much has the approach of letting divers decide for themselves what they're comfortable with, whether that's solo diving or sporty seas. I appreciate that. They'll tell you what conditions look like, and DMs will often make recommendations (to individual divers) on whether or not they advise diving, and I've certainly elected to skip dives before. But 99% of the time, the boats go out and it's up to the diver to make the call. They try to pick sites based on conditions, and none of the boat rides are very far (5-10 min; with the exception of Mary's Place/Calvin's Crack).

And when it does get truly bad, they are willing to make the call and shut things down - just takes a lot to reach that point. The original question was about whether CCV would shut down diving due to rain, and the answer is almost certainly not.
I would guess that they do not have a limiting inlet to moderate when they go out or come back in.

Where do you dive in Florida?

Clear until Nov 29 Wednesday, then a little bit of drizzle, all gone!

IMG_9670.jpeg
IMG_9672.jpeg

Saturday!

Nov 30 Thursday, no rain again
End of the Rainiest Month….

IMG_9695.png
IMG_9694.jpeg
IMG_9678.jpeg
IMG_9696.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom