November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FUN AT 15

Date:11/17/04
Dive Location: Malibu road
Time: 2:55PM
Bottom Time: 86 minutes
Max Depth: 28 feet
Vis: 15’ – 18’
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Surface Temp: 61 deg

took a break from work today to enjoy SHARK SOUP, i mean, the ocean. snorkeling out i saw 3 leopard sharks. dropped to 12 feet, saw 3 large horn sharks and a surprised cabezon. lots of usual suspects out, i took some more pictures and video. my fav. pics are closeups of a horn shark, sandcastle worms, and an octopus closeup. other pics include lobster, cabezon, anchovies, greenling, navanax, zebra goby, sea hare, red-rock shrimp, kelp rockfish, rainbow seaperch, and a seal who I usually see around here.

A lot of life here between 8 and 16 feet. I'm really starting to notice the colors at this depth in everything, especially the reds, that I don't get to see at deeper depths.

A nice red-brown giant kelpfish at 12ft depth evaded photos, as did the school of hammerhead sharks.

pictures: (comments are welcome)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/s...-17-2004&what=allfields&name=&when=&whenterm=

Scott

La Jolla Shores & Cove, 11/16/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shores - Vallecitos Point
Date: 11/16/2004
Time 6:40 pm
Bottom Time: 42:40
Temp at surface: 61 degrees
Temp at depth: 52-55 (my profile say 61, no chance)
Max Depth 82 feet

I met up with Ryan, Terry, and Paul at Vallecitos Street. We all geared up and walked to the beach. It was a serious low tide and the beach looked like the desert floor far out into the ocean floor. There were no waves and the ocean was glass. We walked out and then kicked out to a depth of 90 feet and dropped down into the ocean. On the drop to the canyon I swam east hitting the wall at 82 feet. We encountered several octopus, rockfish, sheep crabs, shrimp, a squid, several different kinds of sculpin, a few different types of crabs, and more. We kicked in to 3 feet of water and exited the beach.

La Jolla Cove - Alligator head
Bottom Time: 66:20
Temp: 61
Tide: Comming up from low.

Paul and I said farwell to Terry and headed over to the Cove for a lobster dive. We meet up with Jessica and Simon and after a while we were ready to go again. The tide had come up slightly but we still entered at Alligator Head. We all got out easily and we dropped down into 25 feet of water. We headed south and explored the holes and ledges we encountered. Lot of interesting formations and a few interesting critters. Paul and Simon saw an octopus, I saw a Moray Eel, 3 different colored kelpfish (yellow, red, and grey), along with several short lobsters. I caught 5 or so but they were just short. Paul got a big legal lobster. We all ended our dives and met in front of Alligator Head and planed our "exit strategy." The tide was higher and we were getting some swell action against the rocks. Simon exited 1st as Paul made light of the situation. After a few waves he was on the rock and on his feet with his fins off. I then came out and had a little bit more difficult time, but with a big wave I was up and standing. Jessica came next, and with some help, we got her up the rock and on her feet. Paul then came in and very nicely he exited with a nice wave. Another great 2 dives in La Jolla!

Pictures: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/shoresandcove11162004

divebuddysean:
La Jolla Shores & Cove, 11/16/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shores - Vallecitos Point
Date: 11/16/2004
Time 6:40 pm
Bottom Time: 42:40
Temp at surface: 61 degrees
Temp at depth: 52-55 (my profile say 61, no chance)
Max Depth 82 feet

Here are my pics from the first dive.

La Jolla at Night

Sean, Terry - great pics; A fine assortment of nighttime critters; Did the octopuses try to flee when you came close? Sean - do you know what type of animal is pic 22 out of 26? its the amorphous blob that looks like an egg or a light-bulb tunicate or something...

Also, on most of the night pics, are you guys using a strobe, internal flash, or dive light for a light source? (or a dive light + strobe/flash at the same time)? just curious...

Scott

scottfiji:
Also, on most of the night pics, are you guys using a strobe, internal flash, or dive light for a light source? (or a dive light + strobe/flash at the same time)? just curious...

Scott

Neither Sean nor I have an external strobe so all night shots are internal flash only or flash/flashlight combo. Mine appear a bit blue because of the Light Cannon's HID illumination. Sometimes Seans have a yellow spot from his C8. Sean is in a higher tax bracket so he will get a Strobe before I do and then he can teach me some stuff!!!

Terry

divinman:
Neither Sean nor I have an external strobe so all night shots are internal flash only or flash/flashlight combo. Mine appear a bit blue because of the Light Cannon's HID illumination. Sometimes Seans have a yellow spot from his C8. Sean is in a higher tax bracket so he will get a Strobe before I do and then he can teach me some stuff!!!

Terry

I have a princeton Tec ShockWave II light. Colors seem good at night, I need to test it with some photos though.

So you use the internal flash also for some photos for extra light? I would imagine just for the close-up shots?

I have a Canon A70 with an internal flash, and the Canon underwater housing. It's not clear if I need a new housing if I get a "slave strobe", from what I've read some people might have gotten a slave strobe to work with their A70 setup. If I only need a strobe, that will lower the cost a little.

Will you guys need a new housing if you get a strobe?

Scott

scottfiji:
I have a princeton Tec ShockWave II light. Colors seem good at night, I need to test it with some photos though.

So you use the internal flash also for some photos for extra light? I would imagine just for the close-up shots?

I have a Canon A70 with an internal flash, and the Canon underwater housing. It's not clear if I need a new housing if I get a "slave strobe", from what I've read some people might have gotten a slave strobe to work with their A70 setup. If I only need a strobe, that will lower the cost a little.

Will you guys need a new housing if you get a strobe?

Scott

I use internal flash on all shots at night and 98% of the day dives as well. Color saturation will always be better using internal flash.

Sean has a wet plug on his housing that will allow him to plug his strobe in should he decide to go TTL in auto. there are numerous "slave" strobes that either of us could use. The ability to turn off the pre-flash that most cameras a have , or the strobes ability to ignore the preflash will determine what you can use on your camera.

:eek:fftopic:

Now stop highjacking the thread!!!

See you Sunday

Terry

Hi Scott, I couldn't find the pictures you were asking about. Perhaps you can post a link and I can check them out. My camera take a few seconds or less to take the picture. Having a light on it helps it focus more quickly. Terry used to have a light cannon mounted on his housing but it had an accident. As you can see his shots are quite amazing so that setup seems to work well. My camera will work with a strobe, I just need the arm kit and the strobe. I was looking at a Inon D180 strobe but contrary to what Terry says I hardly buy anything for scuba. It seems like a reasonable price and I'm sure my pictures would improve with a strobe. I'm focusing more on a dry suit now, but even then I'm not sure when I'll break down and buy one :) I'm glad you liked our pictures Scott! I'll make a cheat sheet for the Photoshop tweeks I know how to do..
Look for it on the site!

Sean

Back
Top Bottom