November 04 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: Saturday, Nov. 6, 2004
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Deadman's Reef
Time: 10:16 am
Bottom Time: 54:50
Max Depth: 45 ft.
Vis: 10-15 (but murky)
Wave height: 1-3
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto
Surface Temp: 64 air, 64 water
Tide information: Low (+3)

Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, West Reef
Time: 1:17 pm
Bottom Time: 52:10
Max Depth: 37 ft.
Vis: 10-15 (but murky)
Wave height: 1-3, occasional 4ft.
Temp at depth: 64 Suunto
Surface Temp: 68 air, 64 water
Tide information: Low (+3)

Comments:
Met up with Pasley, Aaron Brown, Headhunter, Jan, and Dazedone at Crescent Bay for a Deadman's Reef dive. Gorgeous day. Parking was not much of a problem near Crescent, especially near the North stairs. Pasley, Aaron and I geared up before the others arrived, since Pasley had to bail after the first dive. There were tons of divers at Crescent, probably some very large classes, and when we were entering the water it looked like the invasion of Normandy with all the divers in the water. Waves were max 3ft., but a "lake entry" since it was so easy to time them. We kicked out towards Deadman's, lined ourselves up with the face of the West cliff at Crescent, and when the North-most Seal Rock lined up with the flagpole we dropped down. We were right near the Pinnacles rocks in some fairly murky, surgy water. Pasley led Aaron and I around the west side of Deadmans then over towards Seal Rocks. At least that's what they told me later. I still don't have a good picture in my head of the layout, even after looking at some of the maps. Anyway, visibility was fair, and we saw a fairly large octopus deep in a crack, some large schools of whatever they were (smelt or something). Not a whole lot of marine life from my perspective, but they probably saw a bunch of stuff I didn't. I did see a fairly large lobster right below me, reached down and grabbed it, and hurried over to show Pasley. I waved it in front of him, then let it fall open to reveal an empty shell. PSYCHE !!!!! :eyebrow: Anyway, Pasley did his usual excellent job of navigation, and led us right to the beach for an easy exit.

Next dive Aaron and I met up with Headhunter and Jan and Dazedone, and decided to try Shaw's. We drove over to Shaw's, geared up, and headed down. Aaron was the leader this time. Another very easy entry, and we dropped down fairly close to shore in order to hit the Arch right away. Visibility was technically about 10 feet or so, but pretty murky, and it was pretty surgy in spots. We toured the arch, turned around and explored the reef. Took what I call "the Expressway" which is a mini-canyon which cuts across the reef. Toured the far side, then headed back. Saw the usual swarm of black croakers in the crack near the Arch. Forget what else we saw... Aaron brought us right in front of the beach for another easy exit.

After the dive Jan, Dazedone, Headhunter and I walked over to get some Husky Boy burgers. It's amazing how good a double bacon cheeseburger tastes after a day of diving.

I had to get back, so Jan, Dazedone, and Headhunter stayed for another dive. Or two.

Bottom line: a gorgeous day at the beach, great dives, great people to dive with.

Dive profiles below. I also have been plotting my SAC for all of my dives.

hi ...my name is joye and im dive master (padi) checke how good is the viz. in yanbo (ksa) red sea it is in reef 36 we colit .
any waye it is not the best one thar is beter 1 .
i hop u com over .

ya im the one on the right .

joye :diver:

Ann Marie:
Date: November 4
Dive Location: South Cresent
Time: 7 am
Bottom Time: :17:
Max Depth:
Vis: 6-8 feet
Wave height: 3-4 feet
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments:

Met a friend for some early morning diving. We geared up and hit the water. After kicking out he noticed that his SPG was leaking air. Between that and the crummy viz we decided to call the dive. Bummer. Hopefully the viz improves soon!

Dive Location: Malaga Cove
Time: 8 am
Bottom Time: 74:00 woohoo!
Max Depth: 27 ft.
Vis: 10
Wave height: 1-3.
Temp at depth: 63 Suunto

Met some DNS people at Malaga, nice conditions, easy entry off the beach. Must be time for garibaldi babies.... saw at least 15 real small juvies, down to one centimeter (TINY).... HUGE barracuda school, no kidding likely 500+ animals. We sat and watched it pass... and pass... and pass.... it simply did not end. Nice big bat ray

Exited over the rocks

Very nice dive

whalerkyle:
Date: 11/5
Hey Roger (scubapro5), Will says howdy. I was finally able to strap a tank on his back.
Kyle

Hey Kyle are you talking about Will the hardcore freediver that works or use to work for Riffe? I havn't seen him in a long time. Tell him I said hi and to shoot me a email.

divinman:
You got some great shots Sean. Great diving with you.

Terry
Thanks Terry! I am always amazed at your photos!

Your nudi here:Nudi

What is the ID?: orange-tipped?

I need a nudibranch book.

divebuddysean:
What is the ID?: orange-tipped?

I need a nudibranch book.

ID on the orange one is Facelina Stearnsi or Stearns Aeolid

I would recommend, for this area, Pacific Coast Nudibransh by David Behrens but you may want to wait because the next edition is coming out next summer. You can find it in some dive shops and at the Chalet sometimes or be cheap like me and find it used at amazon.com.

Terry

Date: Sunday, Nov. 7, 2004
Dive Location: Big Rock, Malibu
Time: 11:45AM
Bottom Time: 69 minutes
Max Depth: 36 ft
Vis: 10-14 in the reef, 5-10 outside
Wave height: 2-3.
Temp at depth: 61 Fahrenheit
Tide: 2.5 ft low tide at 11:30AM
Surge: slight to moderate

A few sprinkles and an overcast sky gave me the idea to try a theme dive today: THE HUNT FOR RED SCORPIONFISH. So, dive light in hand (with 8 fresh C batteries inside), I scampered into the water. I was not along in this quest, for I was quickly joined by a super-sized harbour seal, who was my dive buddy for the entire hunt. The first few small caves and dark holes revealed only sea cucumber, urchins, and brittle stars. But then oh-la-la - a large spotted caudel fin - a full grown horn shark. Several more horn sharks were spotted, along with 4 octopus, 1 lobster, several kelp rockfish and 8 scorpionfish. Senoritas, garibaldi, rock wrasse, kelp bass, sheephead, and schools of large opaleye, sargo, and black perch were my sidekicks for this task. Painted greenlings darted everywhere, and a lone black-eyed goby peered up cautiously. A quick trip into the deeper sand flats revealed nothing but a small horn shark and armored sea stars. OK, back to the reef, I searched for giant kelpfish, but to no avail. My scorpionfish quota was filled. Juvenile senoritas and blacksmith circled me curiously. A navanax was spotten crawling on the rocks. My dive-buddy seal was still with me, crouched behind a rock watching me. Large schools of sardines and small schools of topsmelt sailed over me at various times. The swim back to shore revealed nothing in the sand but a sea pansy and a few sand anemones. In 8ft of water, the eel grass and the boa kelp started. I then switched to the hunt for the red kelpfish.. searching.. searching in the surge-blown kelp...nothing but surf-perch. But wait, with only a few PSI of air left... there it is.. a beautiful large giant kelpfish..nice red color, swaying back and forth.. another mission successful!

Weekend Dive Reports with Scubaboard members:

Friday November 5th

Redondo Canyon Night Dive

Waves- 0 to 1'

Surge - 0

Viz - 10 to 15'

Temp: 58 degrees at 83' depth

Dive duration: 47"

This was my first time diving the Redondo Canyon at night. There usually isn't much to see during the day due to the expansive sandy bottom. However, at night, it's a total different story.

I was pleasantly greeted by numerous Thornback Rays, Cusk Eels, Sting Rays, a variety of small Halibut, C-O Soles, Scorpion Fish, a Lizard Fish, baby Horn Sharks, 4 Pipe Fish (Too Cool!!!), Kelp Crabs, Sand Crabs, Elbow Crabs, tube anemoes, Lewis' Moon Snail, several Sarcastic Fringe Heads taking up residence in larger snail shells (too cute), numerous sea pens, sea pansies, and a *mysterious* translucent tubular ( 3" long) floating in the water, and a spooky black creature that stirred up the bottom at depth. Eeeeeeeee...shiver me timbers...I told myself that it was 'just' a sea lion.

I look forward in diving this site again at night...especially that squid season is just around the corner!

Saturday, November 6th

Dive #1 North Cresent

waves 1-2'

surge 0'

viz 10-25'

Temp 65 degrees at depth of 55'

Dive duration: 1 hour

Dropped down ontop of the Pinnacles. Good viz to start. Lots of marine life and fish. Kicked towards Seal Rock, observed eels, sea hares, ochre stars including a 'black' one. Had never seen that before. Also plenty of limpets and a vast variety of sea sponges. Only bug I saw, looked to be about a 8 pounder, but deep in the crevice.

Dive #2 Shaw's Cove

Surf 1-2'

surge- minimal

Viz 10-15'

Temp 62 degrees at depth of 45'

Dive duration: 55"

Attempted to dive through the arch, but viz was down a bit, and it was a little surgy. Spotted the resident eel with his roomies of cleaner shrimp and a couple of bugs. Also managed to get a octo to come out and play.

Further down the reef, the grand daddy eel was in a playful mood as well. I was able to get him to come out of his hole a bit. He also had two bugs for room mates.

On the way back in, attempted the arch again. Spotted two nudi's I hadn't seen before. I will look them up and post a note later. Also saw several black groupers hanging out in a large crevicce along with a large tree fish. Is it my imagination, but does there seem like there are more Sheephead hanging around Laguna these days??? I saw several males as well as females. I might add there are lots of 'juvies' of all breeds of fish. It is so cool to see all the colors of our little ones. There was also a very elusive jv Zebra Goby, black eyed ones too!

Dive #3 Shaw's to Fisherman's/ Boat Canyon to Diver's Cove

Waves 1-3' Picking up

Surge 0-4'

Viz 5-10'

Temp 58 degrees at depth of 39'

Dive Duration: 45"

This was by far the most interesting dive of the day. We dropped down at Shaw's and took a East heading. Dove the reef at Fisherman's then into Mermaid Grotto, then around to Diver's Cove. Explored several crevices. Too fun! Moderate surge in some parts. Usual marine suspects. However, I stuck my hand in the sand to feel something round! Hmmm...I dug it up to explore what was eluding me. Turns out that is was a Sea Apple. This had been the first time for me to actually see one in person. I have only seen them in the books prior to this dive. Interesting creature!

We popped up at Diver's, exited and made the journey back to our vehicles at Shaw's.

A special thanks to all of my buddies: John, Eric, Christian, Aaron, Dave, Jim, and Mel. I had a great time!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom