Nov 28th 2010 carnival valor cruise

Which two of these Cruise ship dive destinations has the best Diving?

• Grand Cayman, Cayman Island

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Isla Roatan

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Belize

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Cozumel, Mexico

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • Stay Home

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crazytom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Forgive me if I screw this up as I've never started a new thread before and this is only my third post ever. If it's not in the right place, feel free to move it. Thanks.

I'm going on a cruise on the Carnival Valor and Nov 28th. Unfortunately I'm the only one in my party who will be diving and I'm going the opposite direction of the other guy that posted here looking for a dive buddy. I'd like to do some decent dives and not get stuffed onto a cattle boat and paired up with someone I'm going to have to rescue.

If you're going to be on this cruise and would like to hook up let me know and hopefully we can work something out.

My plans so far are:

Anthony's key in Roatan with the cruise ships operation.
Pelagic ventures in Cozumel.
I'm planning on skipping belize.

some info about myself.
I consider myself a better than average diver, but only because the average is so low. I'm have an AOW/Nitrox cert and I've done almost 130 dives in the last 2 years. Not the greatest resume in the world but like I said better than average.

One other thing is that my little brother is not certified but he has been on a discover scuba before. If he's interested and it all works out I might be interested in doing a discover scuba with him. But I would estimate that there is only a 10% chance of that. If you have any suggestions regarding this it would be appreciated.

Tom,

I am on the Valor August 15. Well ahead of you. I am using Anthony Keys for Roatan and Pelagic for Coz. I'll let you know how those go. I am also using Off The Wall for Grand Cayman. I'm using the ship for Belize.

I have been diving for 18 years and have been diving on cruises a lot. You never have to worry about finding a buddy but it can be a lot more fun.

BTW: resume looks good to me. I'd dive with you.

Don

Thanks, I hope you have a great trip and I look forward to hearing your report. It's too bad that Isla Roatan is the best diving destination and also the shortest portcall.

Crazytom,

Here is a quick writeup from one of the other threads. I can be much more detailed if you wish just send a private message.

Got back yesterday from the same route. I was on carnival Valor though. I use the boat for Roatan and Belize.

Carnival uses AKR on Roatan Its about a twenty minute ride across the island to the resort. They have 12 or so boats and its a real efficient operation. they took us to Overheat, which is only 2 minutes from the resort. Not a bad dive but you can tell the wall gets a lot of traffic. The second dive was also only about 2 mins. from the resort. Lots of algae but still a nice little dive with lots of grouper. The spots were OK but not Coz!

Belize was also with the ship and they used Hugh Parkey (sp). We went to Turnafee atoll. They were a great dive operation and they picked you up at the ship. The dive sites were pretty good.

I dived with Off the Wall on GC. They are a quality shop. They picked me up at the Hard Rock and went right to the dive boat. The Hard Rock is a stone's throw from the South Terminal and only slightly farther from the North term. we went to the North Wall. Real nice dive!

I dived with Pelagic Ventures on Coz. Pelagic was recommended by several SB members. Pelagic a a real small operation but is top notch. Troy has been on the island for 16 years. We were allowed to pick our site(s) and type of diving. They did not disappoint!

I would dive with a local shop on GC, Roatan and Coz. I would use the ship for Belize.

Thanks for the update. I probably won't be diving in Belize, So I guess I'll be going with private shops for Coz and Roatan.

Unfortunately I won't have my brother along as he has a problem with clearing and doesn't want to risk getting certified and shelling out money to be in pain. I've sent him with an instructor friend of mine on a discovery dive and he couldn't equalize the entire time. It's hard for me to fathom an equalizing problem that would keep me out of the water because I drop like a stone and have no problems at all. Thanks again.
Chris

If you don't dive in Belize the cave tubing is pretty cool!. Bring your dive light...they give you a head lamp, but a UK Q40 is awesome.

I've been to Cozumel several times and dove with Aldora...great operation, very flexible, long bottom times and great dives. Cab ride to downtown and they drop you back next to the boat (can't use the cruise pier, but next door).

Also been to GC several times and dove with Neptunes. Again, great dives and great operation. Only downside here is you have to get to their launch location at the near end of 7 mile beach.

Planning to dive Belize and GC (off the Valor) this year. I understand the ship's operation in Belize picks you up off the ship (huge advantage!) and I get the same info about Anthony's Key....good dives, but usually in close locations that show high traffic.

Enjoy!

Anthony's Keys comes and picks you up for the 25 minute ride to their resort. Dive locations are close to the resort. We dived Overheated reef. Lots of diving on that reef...

Belize is run by Hugh Parkey's. They take you to Turneffe Atoll. It's about a 15 minute ride to their private island for the gear and then another 15 minutes to Turneffe. Real nice wall dive followed by a nice shallow wall and patch reef dive right off the same wall. Had a real good time with them. One of the cruise passengers was turning 50 the next day in Coz and she wanted to match that with the number of dives she's done. The DM took her on a private dive (dive 3) so she could attain her goal (she had 47 dives). They also brought to to the ship before it set sail. I watched the boat pull up. Now that's personal service!

Anthony's Key was OK but there are better options I think. They are on other threads already.

Hugh Parkey's was a well run operation with nice boats and great DM's. Being picked up at the ship was a real plus! BTW the ship anchors about 5 miles off shore and its a 25 minute tender ride to the pier.

I went a couple of weeks ago.

Don

After a lot of review we decided to go with Barefoot divers in Roatan and book through Carnival for the Belize trip...will let you know how it went in Nov.

Back
Top Bottom