Nothing like firsthand experience...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReaperFive

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, just wanted to share an experience I had last weekend.

On Sunday, I was doing some solo diving at a new spot at my favorite local dive site, a lake called Murner See outside Schwandorf, Germany. I was pretty excited, as it was to be my 50th and 51st dives.

To preface this, I'd never had an in-water incident before. All of my dives had gone according to plan, with no serious problems. I'm fairly cautious, and I do try to mitigate the risks as much as possible.

My 50th dive went beautifully. I explored the area, which was much more interesting than my previous dive site at the other end of the lake, with a nice 30' cliff and a smooth bottom that descends (reputedly) to the lowest point at around 150'.

My previous dive site bottomed out at around 75', and I'd been wanting to get some deeper dives in. I did my first dive to 120' for two minutes, then returned to 40' and explored the cliff until I reached 1kpsi of remaining air and surfaced. The water at depth was extremely cold, probably in the mid 30s, although I didn't notice the temperature on my computer.

After a 2-hour surface interval, I switched tanks and got back in the water. I dove immediately to 110', where I stayed for about 2 minutes, then decided to turn around and slowly return to shallower water. At 105', I was looking at an old culvert when I noticed that my regulator seemed to be sticking open a bit when I exhaled. My immediate thought was, "oh no, you're not going to start freeflowing on me now." I took it out of my mouth to see if I could get it to stop, and it immediately started freeflowing wide open, blowing a huge plume of air.

I stuck the reg back in my mouth and checked my air. I had 2200 psi remaining; I started ascending immediately. As I came up, I struggled a bit to control my buoyancy, since it was hard to tell with all the noise if my wing was actually dumping air or not. With some effort, I did manage to do a controlled ascent and monitor my air, taking about 3 minutes to reach the surface. Obviously, with 500 psi remaining at 20ffw, I didn't have a choice but to blow my safety stop. I surfaced unhurt but a little shaken.

In retrospect, the incident was fairly minor and easily manageable, and I think I reacted adequately. I am, however, a bit irritated at myself, as I'd been looking for several months at getting a redundant air source but hadn't actually done so, mostly because I was hesitant to lay out the money, and hadn't decided what kind of redundancy I wanted. This would be more forgiveable for normal diving, but I should have had some kind of redundancy for solo diving.

Anyway, it was a pretty good wakeup call, and knocked the aura of invincibility off of me, which is never a bad thing. It definitely impressed upon me the difference between talking about contingencies and when something actually happens to you personally. Previously, I was considering buying a pony bottle for redundancy, but I'm starting to think I'll just go to doubles, since I'm eventually headed in that direction anyway.

R5

As the saying goes, any crash you walk away from is a good one. Glad it was a good crash.

If you're diving solo at 50 dives (with no particular instruction in it I'd guess, as the only solo training I've found requires more dives) and do not have full redundancy of air, I respectfully suggest you're not really doing all you can to mitigate the risks.

I'm looking forward to doing solo training myself. I hope to get some good tips on preparedness.

Gald you are ok. You were solo diving deeper than 100 feet with 50 dives and no redundant air source? It could have gone alot worse.

50 dives experience ... 110 feet solo ... no redundancy.

I cringe every time I read stuff like that ... :shakehead:

I think a "wakeup call" that you survived was probably the best thing that could happen to you ... assuming you learn what the lesson's trying to teach you.

Getting a redundant air source is a really good idea ... taking solo diving a bit more seriously is an even better one.

If you've neglected something as fundamental as redundant breathing gas, makes me wonder what other risks you're taking because you just don't know any better ... :idk:

Please ... if you're gonna solo dive, learn to do it properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What they said... even though you have dove solo, I would suggest taking a class, to get someone else's point of view on how you are mitigating risks. You are diving solo, but having more than only your eyes on your setup isn't the best way to do it.

Good luck.

First, thanks for posting this. Second, You are lucky.

Get in more dives with a buddy.

Get training diving solo.

Get a proper solo rig. For that depth I'd at least have my double 80s plus a slung 30. I'm a bit on the conservative side, plenty of folks would do that with a single 100 with an h-valve and a pony. But 120' solo on an 80 with a single reg? If you had an H-valve you'd have been able to isolate the free flowing reg and save some gas to allow for a proper safety stop. And if you had been just a bit lower on gas than you were, you might not be reading this advice now! You're asking to have a very bad day.

You almost had one. Learn from it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it was dumb to be diving that deep without redundancy. But hey, I learned. I won't be making that particular mistake again.

If you've neglected something as fundamental as redundant breathing gas, makes me wonder what other risks you're taking because you just don't know any better ...

Bob, I read your posts all the time, and you usually have good, insightful comments. Come dive with me sometime, and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong in person, and won't have to speculate.

But 120' solo on an 80 with a single reg? If you had an H-valve you'd have been able to isolate the free flowing reg and save some gas to allow for a proper safety stop.

I wasn't on an 80--I avoid diving on al 80s as much as possible. I was diving a single 120. My tanks are HP 130s, but I was using rental 120s that day. And as I mentioned, I'm already looking at getting a doubles setup soon, for the redundancy.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, it was dumb to be diving that deep without redundancy. But hey, I learned. I won't be making that particular mistake again.

Bob, I read your posts all the time, and you usually have good, insightful comments. Come dive with me sometime, and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong in person, and won't have to speculate.

I wasn't on an 80--I avoid diving on al 80s as much as possible. I was diving a single 120. My tanks are HP 130s, but I was using rental 120s that day. And as I mentioned, I'm already looking at getting a doubles setup soon, for the redundancy.
First off, I wasn't speculating ... I was reflecting on what you posted. As I said, if you're going to solo dive, please do it properly. I've already lost friends because they took it too casually. Please don't join them. Take a solo course ... or at least take a look at this article and consider what it has to say about solo diving.

And if you're going to quote people, please attribute who you're quoting. I had to go back and look to see where I said you were diving an 80 ... only to realize it wasn't me that said it. The way you wrote the post, it looks as though you're responding to me. Attributing who you're quoting makes the conversation much easier to follow.

I'd be happy to dive with you sometime ... and there are many places in the world I'd love to go diving. Germany isn't on that list, however.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Being in Germany as well I can only say I'd rather be diving back in good old Thailand again as well Bob:)
OT: in a lot of German waters it is obligatory to have an H-valve, even when you're not solo-diving. They check it and ban you if you don't. As a diver who dives in Germany on a regular basis you should have known better (well, you do now:)), and you certainly should have known that the temperature on that depth would have been around 4 degrees celsius (40 F.) max, and the risks of a freeflow that provides.
And diving solo after only 50 dives isn't my kind of mitigating risks either, as stated above. But glad you made out, and kuddos for staying calm and in control:)

Divedaily,

I appreciate the heads-up on the H-valve rule, I've never heard that. I have to say, though, I've seen a lot of locals diving Murner See with regular K-valves, and both of the local dive shops also rent them.

Is diving solo after 50 dives reckless? Perhaps, but I'm comfortable with the risks. And I don't really have a choice--it's dive solo, or not at all. Believe me, given a choice, I would choose to dive with a buddy every time, but it's not feasible here.

In my line of work, I have often had to do things that make diving solo pale in comparison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom