'Nother tank tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couldn't you add a Rheostat to slow the motor down?

Couldn't you add a Rheostat to slow the motor down?

The RPM of an AC induction motor is a function of line frequency. With variable frequency drive you could change the RPM, about $200 for a little motor.

Alternatively you could change the sheave size, bigger on the driven pulley and smaller on the motor. Looks like the motor pulley is already pretty small, or

Use a gear reduction unit, or

Use a second set of reduction sheaves on a jack shaft, or

Use a small PM DC motor. The RPM of a DC motor is a function of the imposed voltage. Here a rheostat would work.

Tobin

Not to mention a tank weighing about 60lbs. spinning at 130 rpm if it comes off... :) That's what I meant, I had to shoo them away. Now I am the neighborhood meanie. :(

If you can slow it down it will probably actually do the job quicker. Ideal is 35 to 70 rpm. You can get cheap 12" and 14" diecast sheaves that might do the job. Though if you are using acid the speed and tumbling action becomes less important.

That aside, it's lovely!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom