For Sale- DIY Tank Tumbler & 45 lbs Aluminum Oxide media, misc. accessories & MORE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave4868

Old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Asking price is $150.00 on this system. Feel free to make an offer! Located near Keene, NH.

I built this scuba tank tumbler in 2002 and tumbled about 40 tanks over the years. Can accomodate tanks as long as hp120's, al80's and shorter tanks. Smaller diameter could be accomodated by relocating the idler roller.

It works great. It's rustier and dirtier than in the pics below, but fully functional.

My DIY tumbler utilized a 2-speed washing machine 1725rpm motor that provided about 45rpm and 60rpm with 7.25" tanks, IIRC. Generally, 60rpm was completely effective and 45rpm wasn't needed. Pics should provide design detail. Parts include pillow block bushings, 5/8" steel rods covered with soft rubber milking hose, swivel casters on the base, fixed casters as stops for the tank.

Included will be about 45 lbs of #6 aluminum oxide chips. That is enough to achieve a level of about 3/4 full in a hp steel 120 and enough to insure the center of the bottom and of the neck would get tumbled well.

I followed typical tumbling procedures such as outlined by Global Manufacturing Corp.

http://www.gmcscuba.com/pdf/tank cleaning & tumbling tips.pdf

For a surfactant (degreaser), I used Crystal Simple Green, then switched to a similar concentrated product from Sherwin Williams called ProClean. Both were able to achieve excellent non-toxic cleaning and effective suspension of debris in the swarf.

I also used Global's Compound O to inhibit flash rust after rinsing, although that can also be achieved with judicious use of hot water and quick-drying with compressed air injected with a wand.

Included will be an good amount of each of those solutions.

Also included will be several of my various DIY wands for rinsing and drying.

No inspection light, as I'm going to keep my DIY version. It was easy to make from an automotive wedge bulb socket and 18w wedge bulb.

You'll need to make a rack, as I'm also keeping my Pelican 6-tank rack which helped to hold tanks inverted for various operations.

Why am I selling stuff? I'm headed to Florida in the next year or two and want to lighten my load.... I'll make another when I get there, just for the fun of it! :D

Pics follow. Feel free to ask questions. I always appreciate a BUMP.... :wink:

Dave C

When brand-new in 2002. The hard rubber wheels between the rollers keep a tank from "walking" too far. Unit can be stored standing on end against a wall when not in use. Swivel castors provide mobility.
Tumbler_left_corner_view_SB_4.jpg

Later in life, tumbling a hp steel 100. Only about 30 lbs of abrasive were needed.
PC140051_SB_1.jpg

Another view.
PC140013_SB_2.jpg

Be forewarned, it's even more rusty and dirty now. Switch is On-Off-On for the two-speeds. Receptable was just for utility.
PC140014_SB_3.jpg

Another view.
P7120011_SB_5.jpg

Price lowered to $125.00.

Please note that I have other items for sale that might make a trip up to the Keene, NH, area more worthwhile. See my postings for a DUI CLx450 drysuit and my UW towed video system.

Keep watching, but don't wait too long.... :wink:

Dave C

Price drop: Now $100 or make offer.

Don't wait too long.... :D

Dave C

Item has been sold- 7/1/12. Thanks to all who expressed interest!

Dave C

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom