Note to Self... STOP Losing Gear!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've lost one mask and a VT4 computer. Fortunately, I found the computer. It had 2 dives on it when I lost it. Never found my mask though.

On the other hand, I have acquired about 20 weights, 8 or 9 masks and then other random items. I've also found a cell phone, a pair of Oakleys and other random items.

So a wife (not clear how that is a scuba gear :D), a lip guard, cover plate of a deco regulator, masks, weight belt, cutting shears area all the gear lost so far, while some of you acquire additional gear and others have their items retrieved.

Damn, I've acquired and retrieved NOTHING. I seem to lose, lose, lose. :depressed:

It's just gear, Sam ... you can always buy more ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

bob's right!!!!
gear's cheap...
not worth being a front bumper on a freighter!!!!

i've lost a ton of stuff!!!!!
my script mask in tortola rambo surf diving with my son in am...
charter in pm w/daughter as seeing eye dog...da, look at the pics!!!can't believe that didn't scare you!!!!
...i hate losing stuff!!!!
have fun
yaeg

i feel for you Sam. I have lost a pair of shears who knows where, one jet fin size large over the wreck of the Lowrance, and a primary reel on the spiegel grove. Believe it or not I actually got the reel back. The fin...well aparently I am not the only one to lose one fin cuz i found one jet fin size large on ebay :D

About the camera, always have two tethers I have learned that from watching tony.

I've lost 1 pair of gloves but found 2, lost a spool, a knife, found a compass, DS hood, countless weight belts & pockets & weights, lost 1 RX mask & snorkel w/ seacure bit (PS there is an entire dive shop at the bottom of Redondo Canyon in Redondo Beach CA)

Biggest loss: a dive op & ocean view land in Panama, but good riddance to the man that came with them.

Best find: all the SB buddies I've met :grouphug:, one in particular :wink:.

I've lost:

1. Uwatec Compass in DSS wrist boot. (I blame that on the lawn maintenance people as I'm 99% sure it was in the rinse tank soaking outside.
2. Intova Light. (see above).
3. A 6ft Carter DSMB. I was preparing to deploy it, when I saw somebody else had already shot one. I thought I had slipped the marker back in its sleeve, but apparently failed and lost it. I now have my big DSMB stowed away, but pre-rigged to a reel clipped to a d-ring on my plate. So even if I fail to adequately stow the marker, at least it will be clipped to me.

Of all the things I have lost, its my mind I miss the most! :D

I have found far more than I have lost. I'm OK with that.

There was a time when I lost all my kit out the back of the boat. My DSS camo wing with a kydex plate, atomic regs, an HP 120 tank along with all my reels and a 10W HID. People were amazed that I wasn't upset. It's only gear and no one got hurt. During their surface interval they went back to where they thought it might be and looked. Moose, my best friend actually FOUND it right where he descended. WHOA! Karma is a great thing. I'm not sure what I did right, but getting that back, finding my SO and even ScubaBoard has made me feel like one lucky ducky dude! :D

I lost a $150 prescription dive mask in the surf at Laguna Beach. I've lost any number of the little steak knives that go on Hog harnesses. I had a bag full of weights taken while I was working with a new diver one day. (We'd go out and do a weight check and come back, and while we were out, someone took them.) Other than that, things go AWOL in our house (which, if you saw it, wouldn't surprise you) but they eventually turn up.

I've found a couple of barnacle-encrusted snorkels, and a couple of lights that didn't work, and a computer whose brains were scrambled. Nothing useful . . .

Diving with my brother he lost a mask on exiting over a reef. We came back the next day for another dive at the same site and he found his mask. Diving with my Dad, he lost his compass on exiting, again we came back in a couple of days for another dive and I found it, so scored a cartoon of beer out of that. Lost a wet macro lens while diving, so went back to the last spot I knew I had it and retraced my path and was able to find it, very lucky on that one. Not lost but cut the line on my dive flag as all 30m had come off the float and was tangled through a huge amout of seaweed.

On the found side of things - three of four single fins, couple of dive knives, countless fishing knives, around 8-10kg of lead sinkers, a few 3pound dive weights, countless mobile phones, around 8 anchors, couple of boat hooks.... hmmm sure I've missed a few things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom