Notability of GUE / DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently created a short stubby article on Wikipedia (Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) about GUE.

However, the article was then deleted on the basis that GUE was not sufficiently notable.

I asked for a review of that deletion (it seemed mad to me that we could have articles on TDI, IANTD and even ANDI, but not GUE), and the request was made (reasonably enough) for me to point to any third party sources showing the notability of GUE / DIR. I managed to pull together a few things, but I am not a technical diver, much less a DIR adherent, so I could use some help.

If anyone is familiar with Wikipedia, feel free to just chip them onto the relevant user page here: User:Legis/GUE - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone wants to participate more directly in the deletion review, you can find it here: Wikipedia:Deletion review/Log/2008 September 21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Otherwise, just reply in this thread and I can copy stuff across.

The deleter seems to be under the impression that GUE is only for certifying divers for the WKPP.

GUE divers also dive with a number of different organizations/clubs worldwide: SCRET, BAUE, Ocean-Discovery, NWUE, NEUE, DIR Italia, GUE UK, etc, etc.

It might be useful to point on the number of current instructors and where they are located worldwide:

GUE Instructors | Global Underwater Explorers

The DIR practitioners group on scubaboard alone has 142 divers in it, and I would be shocked if we had even 10% coverage of certified DIR divers, so the total number is easily thousands worldwide.

The GUE site lists 87 DIRF courses upcoming in the next year, it lists 216 DIRF courses last year (some of those may have been cancelled).

Here's a breakdown of the DIRF courses in the past year by country (again, probably includes cancelled courses):

11 Australia
3 Austria
1 Belgium
3 Canada
2 China
3 Denmark
6 Egypt
1 Finland
7 Germany
1 Greece
2 Ireland
1 Israel
20 Italy
4 Japan
7 Korea (South)
3 Latvia
1 Lithuania
2 Malaysia
6 Mexico
8 Netherlands
5 Netherlands Antilles
2 New Zealand (Aotearoa)
11 Norway
5 Oman
11 Philippines
2 Portugal
9 Russian Federation
2 Singapore
1 Spain
11 Sweden
2 Switzerland
1 Taiwan
1 Thailand
1 Ukraine
26 United Kingdom
33 United States

Here are GUEs major affiliates:

GUE Featured Affiliates | Global Underwater Explorers

Of course, there's a lot of clubs like NWUE, NEUE, and even this forum and direxplorers, that have a lot of members that don't belong to any of the major GUE affiliates.

Thanks, that is useful.

The other thing that would be really useful is any third party sites (dive magazines, public reseources, etc.) that refer to / review / comment on GUE/DIR.

That policy of wikipedia seems biased against grass-roots / internet grown organizations. Here's some websites, though:

Diving clubs/teams not affiliated with a commerical enterprise that are GUE-oriented:

Welcome to Northwest Underwater Explorers (Pacific NW, US)
Submerged Cultural Resources Exploration Team - Diver Standards (Pacific NW, US)
GUE Trimix Diver training, courses, Richard Lundgren (Sweden?)
http://ne-ue.info/content/view/1/43/ (NE Atlantic, US)
About BAUE (California, US)

Diveshops that are GUE-oriented:

Classes : Fifth Dimension, Pacific Rim Aquatics (PNW, US)
DIR mexico - What is GUE and DIR? (Quintana Roo, MX)
Recreational and technical diving training programs - GUE courses (Portofino, Italy)
Learn to Scuba Dive Safely with Global Underwater Explorers (GUE) (NSW, Australia)

Scuba forums on the net with DIR/UTD-related sub forums (You might need to explain to the moderator that DIR and UTD are closely related to GUE and 'count' as references to GUE in the sense that the wikipedia moderator should care about):

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir
DIR Diving
DIR - The Deco Stop
Unified Team Diving & DIR - The Dive Matrix Forums
(plus, NEUE and ocean-discovery have DIR forums)

This is in addition to the core of GUE/WKPP/Halcyon:

Halycon.com - Dive gear halycon halcyon Resources and Information. This website is for sale! (Florida)
About The WKPP | Global Underwater Explorers (Florida)
Extreme Exposure - Home | Extreme Exposure (Florida)
Global Underwater Explorers | Global Underwater Explorers (Florida)

Hope that helps (and really that information should show up to expand the wikipedia stub article)

Lol, "This website is for sale!" Might want to fix that - halcyon.net.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom