Not understanding the long hose thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two advantages that weren't touched on about the long hose (at least they didn't jump out and bite me) are the fact that your primary reg is on the long hose and you are donating your primary, which is working, to the OOG diver. As the donating diver, you switch to your backup which is hopefully bunged under your chin. Unlike the possibility with an octo, it hasn't been dragging in the sand. If it doesn't work, hopefully you have the presence of mind to trouble shot the problem.

The second is, it makes filling up a SMB or lift bag real easy. You, as the diver, can give yourself plenty of distance between your lift bag and the object your lifting, which really allows you to get a great visual on the situation.

Most people use a 5' hose for single tank configs and a 7' hose for double tank configs.

I do like the idea of the necklace octo. But right now I have a Sherwood Minimus low profile octo, and its design doesn't lend itself well to that method.
And that's just it TSandM and Codiak. I'm not much inclined to go cave or cavern diving. I much prefer reefs with lotsa critters to look at. I haven't dove Bon Terre for that reason. Although I have frequented Mermet Springs in southern Illinois. Brutal thermocline, but the fish are fun.
But as I'm rigged right now, I need a whole new rig. BP/W, long hose, different octo...Hell, I ain't even got me one of them 'puter things yet.
Things are SO different now.
Damn. I remember learning to buddy breathe with a guy that chewed tobacco while diving. eew. Got mad at me when I kept hitting the purge button and shaking it out.

So how is a five footer properly routed?

Under your right arm, across your chest and behind the head. A 7' hose secures under a primary light and then the same way.

A five foot hose is simply routed under your right are, across your chest, over your left shoulder, around the back of your head and then around to you mouth like a traditional rig.

A seven foot hose is very similar, except they take that extra two feet it goes inside their belt on their right hip (usually under their canister light), up across the chest, so on so forth.

The fact that the hose goes behind your head does not make donating it any more complicated. The one thing that may is a snorkel, but most folks diving this config usually don't wear a snorkel. They may carry one, but that is about it.

I was thinking about this, and it seems to me that if someone came up to me OOA and panicking, I'd want to hold him/her as close to me as possible in order to maintain good eye contact with him in an effort to calm him down instead of dragging me to the surface with his teeth clamped onto my reg and kicking me in the face.
Why the long hose?
I mean, I can maybe see the logic if you're penetrating wrecks with narrow passage ways, but out in open water?

Can doesn't mean Must.

I can deploy a full 7 feet of hose while donating, but nothing compels me to do so. 'If someone came up to me OOA and panicking', while I would donate my long hose, I likely wouldn't deploy the whole thing. I'd keep it tucked under my light canister, and I may even pull some of it through the back to (effectively) make the hose shorter, because not only would I want to maintain control but having a bunch of hose out while diving with someone who isn't used to it may confuse the issue.

Point is, the long hose gives me more options.

A long hose setup is NECESSARY if you are going to dive anywhere that mandates divers proceed in single file.

Not if you can back kick :D

I was always a bit of a long hose cynic, but I got a Miflex 7' hose and it is great. I just bungee it to my tank(s) and you never know it was there.

I swear Miflex hoses are the future, just not everyone has realised it yet.

This is a re-post of a thread I started a while back. I was going to shorten it for brevity, but then decided that any attempt to shorten it may make it unclear. Anyway, the result of all this was me changing to a 7' hose as a primary. Enjoy...

Best Regards

Richard

I have just returned from a liveaboard in the Red Sea and had my first underwater "emergency". It involved my ScubaPro Air2 hose connector;

Before going on the trip, I had my reg set serviced and did 2 dives on a daily boat as a means to be sure that all was working fine.

After the 3rd day on the liveaboard, during the "emergency" dive at about 20m/60ft, I became aware of a moderate stream of bubbles escaping from connector on my LP hose leading to the reg and inflator buttons. I asked my buddy to watch me whilst I disconnected and reconnected it. This did nothing to abate the flow of air, so my buddy came over to take a look. As he disconnected it, the front end of the connector came off in his hand, resulting in a freeflow from the hose. As you can imagine there was a significant exposion of air and the hose whipping around all over the show. (Witnesses in a zodiac the surface reported an explosion of air on the surface that was 2m/6' above the surface)

He donated me his primary, went to his secondary and then closed my tank. His 7' hose allowed me to hang from a d-ring at waist heght on his BCD and out of the way to his side whilst he took us to the safety stop and launced an SMB.

We went back to the boat, realised the the whole connecter had "become unscrewed" and was probably 1/8th screwed on when I entered the water. We connected and tightened the connector, filled the tanks and did some testing at 10m, we then proceeded to complete the dive without further incident.

I have subsequently phoned the techie at place where the Regs were serviced and he confirmed that that aspect/part of the reg did/does fall within the scope of the service. To be honest, he was shocked and has asked me to return the reg so he can inspect and re-do the service on it as part of his own investigation. The whole experience was very valuable to me especially considering the outcome and I have no interest in pointing fngers, but rather to find the source of the failure and prevent it from happening again.

The experience has gotten me thinking though, and here are some points of consideration and perhaps discussion I'd like to raise here;

1. Because of the relative uniqness (read: not commonplace) of Air2, there is a risk that any breakage or significant failure of the reg set and/or bcd, could leave one in a situation of no available spares and thus no diving. This is more pertainent on a liveaboard or in remote locations. - I am now considering the possibility of retro-fitting a regular regulater as an octo and placing it on a long hose.

2. Becasue there are more parts associated with an Air2 there is a greater risk of failure and in such a situation it places the inflator hose, the regulator and the air supply at risk. - As with #1 above, considering the retro-fit to a regular inflator hose and connector for the bcd.

3. The comfort of the 7' hose I was breathing from during the ascent allowed me to effectively get out of the face of my buddy so that he could focus on getting us out of the water safely. - No question that my (new) octo will be on a long hose when I get it.

4. I was under the (false) impression that HP and LP hoses that rupture would give a huge amount (20 minutes +) of freeflow before depleting the (full) tank. It appears that this may be true for HP freeflow, but it is certainly not the case with a LP freeflow. Initial findings (my own google searches) seem to show that this is more like 2 minutes at less than 5m/15' for a LP freeflow.

As I said earlier, this has been a good experience for me and the calm management of the situation by my buddy was key to the outcome. It has made me think more of these types of situations and I hope that further discussion here on the scubaboard will be beneficial to other novice divers such as myself.

I was always a bit of a long hose cynic, but I got a Miflex 7' hose and it is great. I just bungee it to my tank(s) and you never know it was there.

I swear Miflex hoses are the future, just not everyone has realised it yet.

do you breathe the long hose?

do you breathe the long hose?

No, I wear the long hose on a necklace and breathe the short hose. Just because.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom