Not The Same Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So if Bonaire decided to charge everyone $1.00 extra on the departure tax at the air port, and that money directly funded a patrol that did nothing but drive around the perimeter road up and down the island from 6:00am to 8:00pm who would be in?

Let's face it, the problem has some pretty simple solutions. It's not like Bonaire couldn't deter this petty thievery in about 20 minutes of brain storming if it really wanted to.

Just prior to our trip in August 2011. We had read where a room at Captn Dons had the safe stolen out of it. The thieves somehow got through the wall from the outside and stole the safe. Don't know if true or not. This is true however. One of our dive instructors from Columbia, SC had a bunch of nice camera equipt stolen from his room, while in Bonaire. I do not know where he stayed at, but his room was broken into. When my wife were there we had no problems. We took old towels, old t-shirts and wore our wetsuits back to the resort at times. She hoped my old shirt would get stolen, along with my flip flops. We had a camera that we hid at each site. We ended up dropping it on a rock and it is toast. LOL So much for security. We had no problems. We left the windows down and the doors unlocked. We hope to get back soon.

We're thinking about going back this spring. The diving is so easy compared to many places. We were there 14 years ago and had a maid steal money from our room. At that time, no safe at the resort. I remember there being quite a few fish and many eels. I didn't think that corals were that vibrant, but the fish life made up for it. I hope there are still adequate amounts of fish.

We went to Bonaire for the first time over Thanksgiving. There were six of us and we stayed at Coral Paradise, dove with Buddy's. We had zero problems with theft. If someone rifled through our trucks, we couldn't tell. Karpata and sites north were by far our favorite dives. Visibility was good and the reefs lovely. South was murky and less vibrant. Overall, I was a little disappointed in the health of the reef. After seeing the proficiency of some of the divers while underwater at Buddy’s, I guess I’m not surprised at signs of broken and smashed coral. But I was surprised at the amount of red algae and bleaching. Of course, this is all relative as the overall diving was fabulous. There may be other dive destinations that, in my opinion, have healthier reefs and better sea life viewing, but you have to get on a boat to do it. In our book, the shore diving counter-balances some of the less than perfect dive conditions. We are heading back in May and I can't wait.

Despite all its flaws , I am going back , and back , and back ....

Ditto.....as much as the money and time allows. :D

I'm trying to go back late this summer but the air fare is crazy. Gotta keep checking I guess.

Check out Insel Air: InselAir

I took the easy way out and went Delta in August, but 1 of the girls that I traveled with flew with Insel Air. Looks like about $146 (depending on dates) each way via Miami. I think there is a stop in Curacao each way, and the times are not the greatest, but you can't beat the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom