Not The Same Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VAmtnguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In August, I returned to Bonaire for my 7th trip there. As always, the shore diving was awesome......I haven't done a boat dive there the last couple of trips.....I can boat dive anywhere.

But we encountered several situations that I think members here should be aware of.

During a dive at Tori's Reef, our vehicle was gone through. As always instructed by the rental car companies, we left the doors unlocked, and the windows down......I had the ignition key with me underwater, as well as my ID, credit cards and money. Our day bags were emptied out on the seat, and my wife and I were both missing our shorts....that is the only thing that we could determine that was missing. We passed a police car sitting on the road at 1 of the next dive site or so (Invisibles, I think) , and we stopped and talked to the officers. There had been a report of locals going through a truck (ours ??), and they already had 2 girls in custody. The officers were waiting to check with divers there, to see if they were missing anything. The officers requested that we file a report, which we agreed to later at the police station. When we got back into the truck, the officers were making their way across the road to some clothes laying there, and they picked up our shorts.....what are the chances in that ?? The pockets were unzipped and inside out.... presumably the crooks took our shorts and after coming up zip, tossed them out the window....evidence gone. We went and filed out a report.....the officers were polite and professional.

The next morning, we did a dive at Weber's Joy (Witches Hut). When we got back to the truck, I noticed a soda can in a potato chip bag, as well as a beer bottle in the truck bed.....no big deal. We got ready to leave, and the truck wouldn't start. I raised the hood, and the battery was gone !!! We did an inventory, and we were missing a bag of potato chips, a leatherman's tool, a non-descript hat, and my flip flops. I found my flip flops laying beside the road about 50' away...apparently size 13s didn't fit. :D A passing motorist let me use his cell phone to call the rental company mechanic, and we were in the water at our next dive site in under 2 hours.

At Tori's we were the only vehicle there. At Weber's Joy, we were the only vehicle there for about the 1st hour (after talking to the returning divers). Both dives were about 1 1/2 long, so plenty of time for mischief. At Weber's Joy, I had the front of truck pulled up into the bushes, but not well enough, apparently.

Another couple at the Plaza had their backpack stolen, but some good Samaritans found it, Googled the IDs, talked to the parents, and got directed to the Plaza. $60 gone. Another couple we talked to had their Blackberry stolen. We heard stories of other thievery that week, but did not talk to those divers personally.

This will not stop me from going to Bonaire !!! I just want others to be aware, and don't leave valuables in your rental trucks. Overall, we were lucky. And I have never felt unsafe in Bonaire. These couple of incidents were unfortunate, but manageable.

Thanks for sharing your Bonaire experience.

Bonaire diving is a lot of fun. Sadly I find the petty theft issue and other on-island crimes annoying enough that I have chosen to take my business elsewhere until the Bonairean dive/tourist industry puts enough pressure on the authorities to combat crime aggressively.

Reactions: Jax
Leaving things of value (Blackberry, $60, backpack, leatherman's tool) in an unlocked vehicle anywhere is just asking for trouble. Even articles of clothing may be at risk. We leave nothing more than an couple old pairs of flip-flops and an old shirt and have never (5-trips including one in August) had any problem. The battery is a tough one - hard to defend. I am glad to hear the police were responding.

Sounds like the same Bonaire I've been reading about years on this forum. The difference is, it happened to you this time.

When I shore dive, I take a towel and a t-shirt and no bag to store it in. Having a bag in your car means a petty thief will have to rummage through it in order to look for things of value. Having shorts in your bag means they might take the shorts to go through the pockets since they want to get in and out in a hurry. Or they take the whole back to rummage through.

I wouldn't leave a blackberry unattended in America.

All of these were preventable except for the battery.

There is something called the "Just world fallacy" which is the natural tendency for people to assume that when bad things happen to people, "they had it coming". "That's what he gets for barhopping at 2am. That's why she gets for dressing like a tramp. That's what they get for...."

Nobody deserves to be victimized by petty theft (or in this case with the battery, it was almost just plain harassment). I am not saying anyone deserved to be stolen from. However, there are some "leaning opportunities" here.

Thanks for the heads up. None of these incidents would be all that surprising alone, but all together in such a short time frame are especially disturbing.

I'm thinking the police ought to set up sting operations, possibly with onsite flogging. Might do some good.

Richard.

A few dozen more cops imported from Amsterdam will solve the problem...

Here's what we do--just back from approx. 15th trip to Bonaire. Stay at a resort with security and safes. Shore dive mostly at the resort, boat dives at the resort. A lot of the time we don't even want to rent a vehicle as we have seen most everything/we did take a ride with a dive buddy this trip and noticed a lot of construction. Lock windows and doors, leave outside lights on, bring EVERYTHING in off the porch.

What would be great for those many who shore dive the remote locations would be the return of the dive bus. It was great for security, but I guess didn't make enough bucks to survive. They sold drinks and snacks, etc., so if something similar should reappear, please support it!!

Our friends had a pair of women's prescription sunglasses taken from their truck at a northern site. I doubt that the thief was either a woman or an exact match for the prescription.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties, glad it wasn't worse.

I've been to Bonaire once (no incidents) and can't wait to go back.
The best thing about Bonaire is that you can pretty much drive from one end of the island to the other and the whole thing is one long series of shore diving sites. The worst thing about Bonaire is that a single thief can also drive from one end of the island to the other and have a buffet of unattended vehicles to choose from. All they need do is pick one with no witnesses around and do a quick snatch and grab. BTW, I wonder how many of these are other tourists? Just as easy for them and it might be tempting to grab a pair of sunglasses or a bag of chips on their way out of a dive site.

These unique and easy pickin's are, IMO, what allows a couple of bad apples the opportunity to make the place sound crime ridden. Until I see military police walking around with automatic weapons as I have on other islands I will believe that Bonaire's relatively low level of crime is simply more visible, not necessarily more prevalent, than other islands.

Sorry to hear that things haven't really changed in Bonaire.

We were last there in 2000 and my wife was asked by a coworker this week for advice on the island ... hence I've been doing some checking-up. Between this firsthand report and the newspaper reporting that there's 80-100 police reports filed per month, Bonaire is still not a relaxing trip where you don't have to constantly be on your guard, but just like going to Rome and having to fend off the pickpockets.

Sure, it is nice that there's no armed guards walking around ... but by the same token, that could be why a 'few bad apples' have been able to persist for so long.

IMO, some good webcams strategically placed on overwatch on common parking areas with police nearby to wait and do the pickup would stomp this out in a matter of days: the rule is that anyone who even sticks their hand inside a car gets fingerprinted and thrown in the slammer overnight ... and the punishment is that the policy is that it is their grandmother who has to come down to the jail to pick them up in the morning. :no:

-hh

Back
Top Bottom