Not sure where to post this - which dive planner software do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
Are you including the VPM-B and VPM-BE models of V-Planner in this or just the older versions?

I believe it includes both VPM-B and VPM-BE. However, Mark's DecoCheck software is independent of the model used to calculate the deco profile - it simply cross-checks against the CDM18 algorithm (Which I believe Mark used on his 313 meter dive), and highlights at which deco stops there is a danger of DCS

Espen

espenskogen:
Fellas, be careful with the old deco planners - The RGBM and VPM models tend to provide insufficient deco in the shallows, according to Mark Elyatt (Deepest dive on scuba - 313 meters in December 2003)

He's developed a deco check application, which will verify the deco schedules provided by V-planner, GAP etc.

Have a look at his website for more details: http://www.inspired-training.com/decochek.htm

E:)
I believe Mark is in litigation with Bruce Wienke over this but it seems a little ridiculous to me. Simce Mark Elyatt was the first diver to go to 313m using software that had never been emperically tested to that depth and then complain when it doesn't work properly is putting way too much expectation on something with too many unknowns.
Those of us who dive deep (but less than 313m) have used and trusted RGBM (gap) and VPM (v-planner) with out any difficulties find this software to be very solid and trustworthy. Just because Mark Ellyat had trouble with the deco schedule provided by software that was never intended nor tested for his purposes does not make the software any less valid.

and the plot thickens...

Gap.

The pre-RGBM version.

Considering the RGBM version of GAP, but up till now, when compared to V-Planner, my version of GAP and the V-Planner seem to be very close in stops and times. A little different on occasion, but not really worth mentioning.

Maybe next year I'll get the RGBM Gap?

I'm a beginner at this but the people that taught me use Deco planner.
http://www.gue.com/decoplanner/index.shtml
I found it pretty cool to play round with gradient factors and to switch between Buhlman and VPM. This is educational as you see the difference between managing compartments and managing bubbles.
Whatever you use make sure you take 6 minutes to ascend the last 6 metres (20 feet) and build in Pyle stops whatever the software tells you.

I learned on GAP 1.x but eventually migrated to DecoPlanner. When GAP-RGBM came out, I experimented with it and V-Planner and found that all three of the programs could effectively be jiggered to produce very similar results for the dives I was using it for - mostly in the 150 to 300 foot range. I eventually settled on GAP-RGBM, in part because it was the software that I was most comfortable operating and in part because I'm just ornery. Actually, aside from the user interface, I also like the print out put from GAP better - which may just harken back to my original training.

So long as you understand what you are doing (both the theory and the application) I don't know that it much matters which application you are using these days. If nothing else, there are advantages to having multiple applications to compare results with.

V-Planner. Solid and trustworthy.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom