"Not quite DIR"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquaregia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm interested in a few topics where practicality interferes with DIR. I know that on some level, the answer is "don't do the dive", and that I could get non-DIR answers from non-DIR forums. However, I get the feeling that some divers who tend to dive in a DIR manner make exceptions for practicality. I'm not interested in a generic answer, but rather one that considers the difference less than ideal, and where we can discuss tradeoffs.

So that I don't cause a "problem", what is the correct forum for these questions?

Well, it really depends on what you're talking about. For example, DIR divers don't carry slates, but they do if they're doing ReefCheck surveys. They don't use retractors, but I've seen quite a few photographers with some kind of extendable lanyard on their cameras. If you're talking about small stuff like that, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking in the DIR forum, how people have solved those sorts of issues.

If you are talking about diving air below 100 feet, or non-standard mixes, or sidemount, or something like that, you know what you are contemplating doing is not DIR. A lot of DIR divers do some diving which is not DIR (I saw a GUE instructor monkey-diving last week) but they don't try to pretend that what they are doing is compatible with the system. Discussing those kinds of things here is not in keeping with the TOS of the special subforum.

I've read the saying on here many times: "There are no DIR divers, only DIR dives."

I have some GUE (and UTD) training and plan to continue training in the future. Many of the dives I do could be considered "DIR"....but many of the dives I do also are not DIR. For example, three of my GUE-trained buddies and I recently took a trip down to La Bufadora to do some diving. In La Bufadora, gas other than air is not available unless you bring it yourself or are willing to put O2 in a cylinder and ask someone to top it with air. The diving in La Bufadora, however, is spectacular!!! Though air is not a standard gas, there was nothing stopping us from making these amazing dives. I'm okay with these dives not being "DIR" (fwiw, pretty much all other aspects of these dives were planned and conducted as being DIR, but you either are or you're not....you can't be kinda DIR :wink:).

If you're not willing to "break the rules" occasionally, there may be some amazing diving you'd be missing out on.

I've read the saying on here many times: "There are no DIR divers, only DIR dives."
That is a brilliant statement, if I say so myself.

... and you would, wouldn't you ... :D

Henrik

As much as I appreciate the DIR approach to diving, I found some years back that it imposed limitations I wasn't willing to accept in terms of how I wanted to dive. So at that point I decided to stop worrying about whether or not how I dived was "DIR" and instead focus on whether or not how I dived was safe and responsible.

I guess what I'd say is decide what's important to you. If "being DIR" is the priority, then accept the limitations imposed by the system and conduct your dives accordingly. If your personal goals take you outside of those limitations, then accept that you won't be diving "DIR" and apply your skills and mindset to doing your dives in a safe and responsible manner.

There's nothing wrong with taking what you learned through DIR and applying it in ways that fall outside the system ... but it's pointless to then try rationalize that what you're doing is DIR ... or should be. The DIR answer to dives that fall outside of their limits is "don't do the dive". If you really want to do the dive anyway, then it's not DIR.

Seems pretty straightforward to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
I'm interested in a few topics where practicality interferes with DIR. I know that on some level, the answer is "don't do the dive", and that I could get non-DIR answers from non-DIR forums. However, I get the feeling that some divers who tend to dive in a DIR manner make exceptions for practicality. I'm not interested in a generic answer, but rather one that considers the difference less than ideal, and where we can discuss tradeoffs.

So that I don't cause a "problem", what is the correct forum for these questions?

that's the biggest thing. you'll learn what matters and what doesn't. sometimes procedures and gear will need to be adjusted a tad. the only DIR police I've ever seen are here on scubaboard so I wouldn't worry about it.
post it here and see what happens IMO

DIR is one groups idea of how things should be done right.
They may own the name, but that does not mean that theirs is the only way to do things right.
Its what works for them.

I imagine (not knowing any personally) that being born in an environment of extreme overhead exploration, they came up with a regimen that obviously works for themselves and their team.
It may or may not work for you.
You could take from it aspects you like, and leave what does not work for you.
I doubt they have enforcers looking to see who breaks the rules.

If that gets you expelled from the club ... well boo hoo hoo !!

JeffG's quote is right... and wrong. There is a bit of a distinction. There are DIR divers in that those that truly understand the system and embrace the principles know when they are straying, and have hard lines they simply won't cross even for non-DIR dives mostly from a safety standpoint.

The strokes on the otherhand just want to claim using jetfins makes them partially DIR - no it doesn't. Nothing wrong with not diving DIR. Other than the internet toughguy community, the only real issue I have ever seen the DIR community have with the non-DIR comunity was in the cave diving world where really stupid practices were resulting in incidents that caused site access to be a problem.

DIR is one groups idea of how things should be done right.
They may own the name, but that does not mean that theirs is the only way to do things right.
Its what works for them.

I imagine (not knowing any personally) that being born in an environment of extreme overhead exploration, they came up with a regimen that obviously works for themselves and their team.
It may or may not work for you.
You could take from it aspects you like, and leave what does not work for you.
I doubt they have enforcers looking to see who breaks the rules.

If that gets you expelled from the club ... well boo hoo hoo !!
...not a fan of the "my way is the only RIGHT way" koolaid stand myself.
I don't have countless years of diving behind me personally, but I DO read ALOT when making decisions as to what type training to seek. I think the whole "DIR" thing is very self absorbant and narrow minded as to the possibility that there is no other "RIGHT" way to do ANYTHING..............donning my nomex/flame resistant suit now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom