Not quite DIR but . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rotaing effect of a sling bottle mounted to one side is much less then mounting a pony to the side of a tank.. when in the prone position the extra tank wants to become the lowest point so it will try and rotate you.. slinging a bottle already has it on average at a point lower than you body so the should be little rotating effect..

Part of the bottle will be connected to your hip at roughly 90 degrees or less to your prone position, the chest mounted d ring brings the most negative part of the bottle (reg and valve) closer towards the centerline of your body..

Given all of the conflicting information and ideas on Ponies as a whole I would like to add my own personal opinion to the fray....

For ME (read: "ME") the addition of a pony behind me side mounted to my tank would flip me like a turtle on his back, I'm floating single LP98's on a STA, so they are sticking a ways out to start.

The addition of a pony to my backside would/did put too much weight to the back.

The other option available/most commonly suggested is to mount the pony like a stage bottle. for the purposes of this experiment I will just call it the "Stage Bottle Way" as I believe that many of the various training agencies encourage the use of stages hung in a similar fashion....so to identify the rigging as anything other than "Stage Bottle Way/Fashion" would do an injustice to one agency, mantra, or another.

Again, with all of the conflicting information, mounting options etc. out there, the decision for each person becomes more and more difficult. My final solution for my Pony tank and the rationale for the same is listed below.

PONY: 30 cf
Mounting: "Stage Bottle Fashion"

Rationale:

Simple.....economics. For a couple of bucks each for two clips, a couple more bucks for a couple of clamps, some left over/surplus rope hanging around....and the most expensive...$4.99 for a wheelbarrow innertube, my pony is mounted tight to my left hip and a little loose off my upper left D-ring. Final solution for me was simple, I could either sling it or I could store it till I could afford another $50.00 - $150.00 for a complex mounting system.

My suggestion, get the clamps and snaps and a length of rope and give it a try, I'll guarantee you will like it and you can spend the money you saved on a complex rear mounting system on the "Windknot's Boat Repair Relief Fund" :D

Originally posted by Windknot
For a couple of bucks each for two clips,

my pony is mounted tight to my left hip and a little loose off my upper left D-ring.
Tips from the *for what its worth* department:

1) Use bolt snaps and not clips or anything else that can allow a line to enter and be clipped off accidently by spring action... (this is not for you Windy as I am sure that you meant bolt snap and not clip.)

2) The upper bolt snap should be at the shoulder of the tank and tight (not on a tail) whilst the bottom bolt snap should be on a tail so that the tank can move around and find its most streamlined position.

Did you read my post? I simply stated my buddy is not DIR - meaning he is using a gear configuration that is not considered DIR. It doesn't mean it isn't a safe and acceptable configuration. Why you would infer from my post that I am diving with people I don't trust, I will never know.

See below from your original post.

my buddy for this particular trip is not DIR, and therefore, I have to carry my own alternate air supply.

The fact that you stated that since your buddy is not DIR you have to carry your own alternate air supply. Do you have to carry it JUST because he is not DIR? That makes it sound as if you do not trust your buddy BECAUSE he is not DIR.

If it frustrates you that I am not simply and blindly following the DIR way, I sincerely apologize. Before I make a decision, I like to have all the facts and opinions that are out there - and to me, that is "doing it right"!

No need to apologize. You ask for opinions here, you will get them. Good, bad, or otherwise. Don't take it personally - at least, not from me. Trust me, it doesn't bother me a bit that you don't "blindly" follow the DIR way.....because neither do I.....as a matter of fact, I have nothing to do with it. I like to see people asking questions and configuring gear how THEY feel is the best rather than how somebody tells them - that's what I do. I think pony bottles(meaning redundant gas supply) are a good idea. I carry one with me often, in the form of an AL80 stage bottle. Why? Because I dive solo. I even cave dive solo sometimes - with the proper equipment, of course.

In my original post, I was merely pointing out a flaw in your logic(carry a redundant gas supply just because your buddy is not DIR), or, at least, a flaw in your phraseology.

Mike

with the proper equipment, gee, I had been under the impression that a good dive buddy was a very important part of your "equipment" for cave, or any, diving. I have never met a pony tank that could drag you out of a cave (or do the MANY other important things that a buddy can). Seems to me that someone cave diving by themselves is breaking rule #1. Don't dive with strokes.

Originally posted by tbg
I know ponys are not considered DIR, but here's my situation. Let's assume I'm diving a backplate and wing with a single tank. The charter operator requires that I have a pony bottle. If I decide to attach the pony bottle to the side of the single tank (using a pony tamer or similiar device), will this interfere in any way with the operation and air trapping qualities of the wing (Halcyon pioneer). And one more thing: I know it is more acceptable to rig it as a staged bottle, which is what I may do anyway. I just want to know if rigging it as above creates any problems.

Let's try this again...

tbg, to answer your origional question without all of the DIR debate, rigging the pony as you described does not effect the operation of your wing. I dive with a 19cf pony attached to my single steel 120 with a Pony tamer. I use a TP II with a Rec wing.I don't notice any rolling or any turtling, although my GF does have a tendency to roll to her right when diving with an al 80. She simply puts a 3lb weight in her left back non-dump weight pocket and she is fine.

As for reaching the valve, I can reach the pony valve as well as I can reach the main valve.

Anyway, I hope that answers your question. Rigging as you described may not be DIR, but it is the way I, as well as most of the divers using singles that I know do it. Rigging as a sling bottle looks like it may work too so it is up to you.

Hope to see you on a boat up here sometime.

Ty

Here is a widely accepted fashion of rigging a stage/pony bottle.

The CAD Image was drawn by Sean Stevenson (full Credit to Author/artist) and I simply have reversed the original from black back ground with white letters/Lines to White with black letters/lines and flipped it to make it more printer friendly:

with the proper equipment, gee, I had been under the impression that a good dive buddy was a very important part of your "equipment" for cave, or any, diving. I have never met a pony tank that could drag you out of a cave (or do the MANY other important things that a buddy can). Seems to me that someone cave diving by themselves is breaking rule #1. Don't dive with strokes.

If it makes you feel good to call me a stroke, go ahead.....makes no difference to me. No, my stage bottle cannot drag me out of a cave, nor does it have a brain, but those are risks that I am aware of and willing to take. I guess you think all the big name explorers that have ever dove solo are strokes as well. And all the british divers that do solo diving. I know, I know......if I dive solo, I'm gonna die, right? If I don't have a buddy I trust to dive with, I dive solo. Trust me, I'm not the only one. I have confidence in my abilities, and know the risks.

Ever really think about how often you are diving solo, even though you may have a buddy in the same ocean/cave?

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom