Not needing air for buoyancy control ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compensating for only 5 lbs of air consumed is very easy for a large frame person. I have a measured lung capacity of > 5 liters. I dive with all my weight (3kg) on my shoulder blades. I maintain horizontal trim with the tank full or empty. The first post indicates the OP has achieved this same neutral buoyancy.
It is entirely possible when correctly weighted to dive a 11l aluminum cylinder with no BC, but safety wise not recommended.

It's not a competition. Clearly the OP's weight was dialed in about perfectly, but it almost certainly would have been an easier, more relaxed and safer dive, if the diver used a little air in the BC when they first got to depth. I'm not a big fan of drastic manipulation of a natural or optimal respiratory cycle to play silly games.
On the other hand, it must be comforting to the OP to know that should his bc fail, he will be more than able to deal with the situation - in that specific configuration.

Sorry if I didn’t explain myself well

I was inflated on the surface and vented all air on the way down

After my safety stop and as my head was breaching the water I added some more in.

I was wearing 6lb of weights

Then sounds like you had good weighting, good buoyancy and good habits. What you describe is the ideal. Dump air to descend, and no need to touch the BC's buttons until you're on the surface. You adjusted your depth during the dive by swimming or using your lungs -- perhaps without even thinking about it. No problem at all.

Also no problem to adjust a bit during the dive, but in this case, you didnt need to. Its also easier for you to do in warm water. With my 8 mm wetsuit, I need to adjust my BC right after I descend -- or else I'll be too heavy, and occasionally during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom