Not impressed at all by the Zeagle power inflator design.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Got my Express Tech and the first thing it does is slowly leak air into the bladder to the point where I can't keep on the bottom. To take it apart I have to insert a 1/4" allen wrench to unscrew the Valve Insert Assembly, which is made out of this ridiculously soft plastic that gets absolutely chewed up by the allen wrench. Turns out the VIA was in there very tight and the allen wrench has now made the allen-wrench shaped hole into a very round hole that provides no grip whatsoever for tools. So now I can't take the thing apart and I'm looking at finding a way to hack the VIA apart piece by piece to dislodge it somehow.

Try not to hack. Can you drill two holes in the top of the VIA and use small needle-nose pliers as a spanner wrench. That part is "designed" to be disposed of and replaced when ever you take the inflator apart. I wouldn't like that either. You can get a new part from ZeagleExpress.com.

Last edited:
or spend 25-26 bucks and get a standard inflator from NorthEast Scuba.

But a "normal" one may not fit the Z design.

Try not to hack. Can you drill two holes in the top of the VIA and use small needle-nose pliers as a spanner wrench. That part is "designed" to be disposed and replaced when ever you take the inflator apart. I wouldn't like that either. you can get a new one from ZeagleExpress.com.

At this point, if I need to go out and *buy* a small drill or dremel just to fix this damn thing then buy the service kit for it so I have a replacement disposable VIA, I might as well just buy a whole new power inflator, right?

And check it BEFORE you go diving and use plastic allen keys. No. Leave tools alone.

If it's a new BC, it should be covered under warranty, right? Just send the power inflator to Zeagle and they'll have it back to you soon.

I would see if Zeagle wants to make it right for the short term, then get the "standard" ,ie, most common, inflator in the world for which a simple, inexpensive, wildly useful, and rediculously compact (about the weight of a quater) stamped service tool is available from DSS or Oxycheq. The only replaceable parts are O-rings which you can get from anywhere in the world that sells the most common inflator in the world or anyone that simply sells O-rings.

I love my Zeagle regulators, but looking at the inflator schematic, it almost looks like it utilizes an oriface and disposable seat which is way too fiddly for me. You have to replace the Valve Insert Assembly every time you get a little sand in something? Ixnay on that.

I would see if Zeagle wants to make it right for the short term, then get the "standard" ,ie, most common, inflator in the world for which a simple, inexpensive, wildly useful, and rediculously compact (about the weight of a quater) stamped service tool is available from DSS or Oxycheq. The only replaceable parts are O-rings which you can get from anywhere in the world that sells the most common inflator in the world or anyone that simply sells O-rings.

I love my Zeagle regulators, but looking at the inflator schematic, it almost looks like it utilizes an oriface and disposable seat which is way too fiddly for me. You have to replace the Valve Insert Assembly every time you get a little sand in something? Ixnay on that.

Is this the standard inflator you're talking about?

Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Power Inflators - Parts - Standard Power Inflator - New Style - Northeast Scuba Supply

I *think* the one inch opening should fit the Zeagle BX inflator design - I would just lose the ability to easily hook up the thing to a garden hose.

You might contact Scott - [user]ScottZeagle[/user] - he was on SB today - or ask about it in the Zeagle forum.

Is this the standard inflator you're talking about?
QUOTE]

Yes. They also sell the tool for $8.50 and rebuild kit for $1.99. I just completely disassembled one in 45 seconds. How long does it take to hook up a garden hose?
You can just disassemble the entire mechanism, rinse it, lube it if necessary and (more importantly) visually inspect and put it back together in a couple of minutes. You can do it every dive if you want to, it's so easy. At least you'll be able to look ot it so you won't be wondering if the hose is working.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom