Not fully closing schrader-valve on Miflex inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That really sounds like a valve malfunction, unless the Miflex valve is a completely new design.
Well i ordered 2 hoses at that time in different colors only 1 of those shows the problem.
I was perplexed that the replacement hose (with the Same color as before) had the same problem. The defective ones had "1019" marked on them. I need to have a look tomorrow whats the mark on the working one.

If you take one apart, send pics!
I dont have the right tool for that right now but i will look into it because im curious, too.
From the outside it looks like every other and pushing on the pin its spring loaded but the spring doesnt seem to be strong enough to close it.

I actually returned a Miflex hose for the same reason a year or so ago - noticed bubbles coming from the connector in the rinse tank when sloshing it about, sucked on the second stage and got air through the schrader valve. It seemed like the valve would also come loose a bit after a few dives (unscrew).

My Scubapro hose would not do that and seemed far more solid, both in the connector assembly and the valve. I switched back to the Scubapro hose that came with the wing, but it is way too long (hence why I got the Miflex in the first place) and after I could not source a Scubapro hose at the right length, I bought another Miflex and a schrader screwdriver to tighten the valve, which I now check frequently. It never misbehaved under pressure, so I can live with it.

I am still keeping to rubber for my second stages but Miflex works for the wing inflator. The real crime here is that Scubapro ships the X-Tek wing with a 65cm hose instead of the 45-50cm it should be. Anyone diving that setup out of the box has a hose loop you can stick your head through poking out, which I find unacceptable.

The defective ones had "1019" marked on them. I need to have a look tomorrow whats the mark on the working one.
The working one shows the marking "2817" (so i guess this isn't the production date. :D).

I actually returned a Miflex hose for the same reason a year or so ago. It seemed like the valve would also come loose a bit after a few dives (unscrew).
It never misbehaved under pressure, so I can live with it.
The real crime here is that Scubapro ships the X-Tek wing with a 65cm hose instead of the 45-50cm it should be. Anyone diving that setup out of the box has a hose loop you can stick your head through poking out, which I find unacceptable.
Interesting that you had the same problems. My valve doesn't seem to come loose though.
About the wing inflator hose: Maybe they had a different kind of routing or configuration in mind when selling this wing? I'm using a 65cm hose in cold water configuration, in warm water configuration that is slightly to long.

About the wing inflator hose: Maybe they had a different kind of routing or configuration in mind when selling this wing?

Nah, check out the loop in the attachment, unless you got the tank valve on your hips it is just ridiculous.

I had to change it asap.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.04.39 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 8.04.39 pm.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 92
Nah, check out the loop in the attachment, unless you got the tank valve on your hips it is just ridiculous.

I had to change it asap.
Wow~ thats really a lot of slack. The Inflator also hangs relatively high on the shoulder, is that comfy to grab with the left hand?

Wow~ thats really a lot of slack. The Inflator also hangs relatively high on the shoulder, is that comfy to grab with the left hand?

Yes I like a short inflator. I usually have my arms out in front of me, so that position is closer/more comfortable than something hanging half way down my torso.

I currently have a 45cm on it and that works fine.

It sounds like the schrader valve spring that is used, in that lot or mfg, is too weak for the purpose. Try one from your local auto parts store, assuming it's not a proprietary part.

Bob

Yes I like a short inflator. I usually have my arms out in front of me, so that position is closer/more comfortable than something hanging half way down my torso.
Okay. Personal preference, i guess. I like to have it a little bit longer so that i don't need to bend my left arm up that much to reach it.
But i guess the fold hose came in that length so the matching inflator hose is indeed way to long.

It sounds like the schrader valve spring that is used, in that lot or mfg, is too weak for the purpose. Try one from your local auto parts store, assuming it's not a proprietary part.
I also guess that miflex got a bad batch of schrader valves supplied.
I sent the hose back to shop. I could have replaced the valve with a different one but there is no reason to fiddle/repair a brand new product.

If you take one apart, send pics!
Sorry to disappoint you, but i sent the hose back to the shop before i had the right tool at my hands.
But it looked like a perfectly normal valve from the outside, and it was indeed springloaded.
As Bob already mentioned/guessed the spring is probably to weak.

After explaining more precisely to miflex that i'm not exposing the hose to a strong underpressure in any way but that the valve just stays open, they completly stopped responding to me.
Looking at past customer interactions to them, found on the internet, that doesn't seem to be unexpected behaviour by them.

Update on this:
I received a new hose with the production-date "2919" (I guess its calender week + year).
That hose still has the same problems..... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom