not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the rechargeable battery in my ix3m tech+ gps. It has plenty of power and no chance of flooding. Same with the AI transmitters. The display and compass are great too. Some of the additional apps I'll never use. I like being able to change the GF during the dive. I can start a dive conservative and if needed I can change the GF to be less conservative during the dive. I like the physical buttons. Easy to access with gloves on. The only downside is the size. It's chunky but not too bad.

I have 2 OSTCs, and my wife has an OSTC as well, but it could just as easily have been Shearwaters. Featurewise, they're extremely close. I prefer the screen on the OSTC, it has a better viewing angle due to being bonded. It's not a huge issue, but you'll notice when held side by side. When you need/want AI, the Perdix is the clear winner. While there is an OSTC TR with AI, it's not quite there yet.

Wow. We’re back to equipment as “lifesaving stuff”. Who woulda thunk that my Perdix is there to save my life? I guess my SPG is too. Crap argument.
And I would argue a cell phone can save a life...

I have 2 OSTCs, and my wife has an OSTC as well, but it could just as easily have been Shearwaters. Featurewise, they're extremely close. I prefer the screen on the OSTC, it has a better viewing angle due to being bonded. It's not a huge issue, but you'll notice when held side by side. When you need/want AI, the Perdix is the clear winner. While there is an OSTC TR with AI, it's not quite there yet.
I really wanted an OSTC. Unfortunately, those guys just don't care to sell to Americans.

IMO shearwater, heinrichs weikamp, Ratio are all excellent top notch dive computers. They all have great displays, and leave very little to be desired. When you're getting any of these, it comes down to availability, and maybe some small feature differences. I can't imagine a dive that you could do with any one but not the others.

People would buy a $1500 cell phone but go cheap on a diving computer. I don’t get it.

Most people pay very little for cell phones. They sign a contract in exchange for a free phone, or get on a payment plan or something like that. I've probably had 20 phones over the years, more counting my wife and kids and I've only ever paid full price once.

I've never seen an option to get a free (or cheap) shearwater from my LDS if I promise to only use that LDS for a year...

The next thing I want to point out is that you are misinformed. A more expensive dive computer is not going to be any safer to dive than a cheaper one, all things being equal. As long as the computer is properly functioning one computer should be as safe as another using the same algorithm. The liability risk is too high for companies to sell junk dive computers.

No, you misunderstood me. I am not saying that a more expensive computer is going to be safer. What I was trying to say is that the price should be irrelevant considering some people's shopping habits. Most people change their phones after two/three years. A good computer can last for decades.

I have two computers, an old Suunto Solutions Alpha and Perdix AI. They will both do the same job as far as rec diving is concerned.

Most people change their phones after two/three years. A good computer can last for decades.

Sell a man a computer, he'll pay you once. Give him a cellphone and he'll pay you for as long as he shall live.

Most people pay very little for cell phones. They sign a contract in exchange for a free phone, or get on a payment plan or something like that. I've probably had 20 phones over the years, more counting my wife and kids and I've only ever paid full price once.

I've never seen an option to get a free (or cheap) shearwater from my LDS if I promise to only use that LDS for a year...

If you think you have gotten 20 phones for free, you are fooling yourself.

If you think you have gotten 20 phones for free, you are fooling yourself.

With a major Telco here, if you take a 2 year contract you're paying a premium of 30-50% on the phone for a given data plan. Of course they try to confuse by off-cycling the data plans versus phone plans, making different data available on a no contract basis, but with some work it can be calculated. That same Telco, even allows you to pay a premium to have a 'free' upgrade that has nothing free about it.

After buying one phone on a plan once I've never done it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom