not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you guys at that you can get a free or reduced phone price? Pretty much all of then stopped doing that several years back. Now you pretty jucm pay for the phone up front OR you pay a defined monthly price until the phone is paid for.

OR you pay a defined monthly price until the phone is paid for.

Exactly: you just failed to spot the invisible <sarcasm> tags around the "free".

Exactly: you just failed to spot the invisible <sarcasm> tags around the "free".

Um no. Free means free, I was referring to the installment plans in which you pay a defined charge for two years for your phone. So 900/24 for instance, in addition to your monthly plan charges.

Or the invisible one where they pad the plans to compensate for the 'free' phone.

If you think you have gotten 20 phones for free, you are fooling yourself.
Don't be so pedantic.

I thought it was pretty obvious that what I meant was that I'm not having to turn over $1,150.00 cash to get an iphone xs max (if that's the device you picked). You may get it for the "cost" of agreeing to use a particular carrier for some amount of time (1 or 2 years). Maybe that contract only garners you a big discount. Alternatively, you may be making payments in a rent-to-own fashion. Either way, you don't have to walk into the cellphone store with a thousand bucks to walk out with a phone. You do have to walk into a dive shop with a thousand bucks to walk out with a DC (or whatever the one you picked happens to cost).

Most people stick with a single carrier for years anyway, so signing a contract in exchange for a free or subsidized phone is a no-brainer if you're one of those.

i thought we were talking about dive computers here?but since on the phone subject. Sasktel does offer select "free"phones or most are under 100 dollars on a 2 yr plan except I phones they are stupidly way overpriced .so move to Canada come to Sask for great phones and freeze your ass off in our cold low visibility waters (this is why this thread was started on a good led dive computer for low visibility)

i thought we were talking about dive computers here?but since on the phone subject. Sasktel does offer select "free"phones or most are under 100 dollars on a 2 yr plan except I phones they are stupidly way overpriced .so move to Canada come to Sask for great phones and freeze your ass off in our cold low visibility waters (this is why this thread was started on a good led dive computer for low visibility)
We were. Unfortunately a few of us got off topic discussing someone's Dive Computer vs Cell Phone analogy. I feel so ashamed.

Because shearwater is the best tasting Kool-Aid around and the conversation... SQUIRREL!

Because shearwater is the best tasting Kool-Aid around and the conversation... SQUIRREL!
To be fair, shearwater does make excellent dive computers. I just think there are others that are just as good (although debatable, slightly better). For a long time, Shearwater computers were both excellent and inexpensive. Those days are long gone.

Most people stick with a single carrier for years anyway, so signing a contract in exchange for a free or subsidized phone is a no-brainer if you're one of those.

You have to pay for a) network access and b) keeping the number. That, a) in particular, is why cellphones are such a sweet deal if you're a vendor: customer buys one and has to keep paying. It is also why comparing them to other kinds of computers is fundamentally a flawed analogy. Maybe except chromebooks and various pads that aren't much use without an internet connection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom