not a diving accident but.......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mako Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
could any of the law enforcement types out there estimate how fast this guy was going?

This by the way is the reason I feel safe while cave diving.

OkI'll take a stab at it although this is not really the arena of my expertise. We did have a similar folded up car around a telephone pole, so I am basing my guess on that. Keep in mind that when these things are investigated, the following are looked at: Skid marks, grade of the road, weather conditions, just to mention a few.

So I would say that maybe he was traveling 55mph or higher and was traveling 35-45mph at the time of impact. More likely 35, but like I said its a guess.

Cars are made to fold up like this upon impact. Its not that they are made poorly, but they are made to absorb the shock of the impact. There are 3 impacts in a crash: the car hitting an object, the body hitting the inside of the car, and the internal organs hitting the rib cage or the inside of the body.

For those on the board that specialize in THI and crash investigations let me know how my guess went.

I'm not a cop but I used to ride bikes and I once T-boned a car very similarly to the wreck pictured. I'm going to guess he was going a bit faster than Wendy suggested. I'd say about 70 at impact.

WW

Wow, I was thinking more in the 150 Mph range, it sure looks like a lot of damage. That is why I posted it.

Wendy, I have heard the three impact thing before somewhere, it is a great explanation of how injuries can happen during an impact such as a car crash.

Too fast................hope he jumped before impact. The poor dood in the car. Hope my car never absorbs a crash to the point where I'm dead. Actually, you do want that kind of impact absorption in a head-on, not side impact.

cancun mark:
could any of the law enforcement types out there estimate how fast this guy was going?

This by the way is the reason I feel safe while cave diving.
Being that the photo is only two dimensional it will be hard but here is part of it.

Taking into account this type of Crotch Rocket is normally ridden by a young male that has a habit of thinking with the smaller of his two heads. That the head used for thinking has the total lack of Gray Matter. And that he is rarely hanging around doing nothing including thinking.

Form the position of the two vehicles it appears they made contact from an angle close to 90 degrees. Contact appears to have been made from the Crotch Rockets front end.

Once contact was made between the Sub-Normal Multi-Human Transporter’s right side, which is totally unsuitable for any diving activity, the Crotch Rocket continued it’s forward momentum making a mess of the Sub-Normal Multi-Human Transporter.

Not seeing any skid or scuff marks it appears the rider’s hand may have been on his head and not the brake lever. The foot brake may not have been operational as the riders leg was possible shaking as he suffered from tunnel vision.

The tunnel vision the young male may have been suffering may have been caused from the young female driving the Sub-Normal Multi-Human Transporter. I don’t think a young male would drive the larger of these two vehicles.

In conclusion, HE WAS GOING WAY TO FLIPPIN FAST.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
The tunnel vision the young male may have been suffering may have been caused from the young female driving the Sub-Normal Multi-Human Transporter. I don’t think a young male would drive the larger of these two vehicles.

In conclusion, HE WAS GOING WAY TO FLIPPIN FAST.
It looks like a great way to make a first impression (or should that be impact) on her (assuming a woman was inside the compact car). I do concur that whatever the speed was that he was going, it was too fast, both for that area and for him to think things through (with either brain). I see guys on bikes like that doing endo's (riding on front wheel only, dont ask me how) at 70mph with no helmet (what is there to protect really?) on the interstate often enough. Wheelies are even more common and look just as "great" at 90mph - where are the cops when you see such things???

Although you can get some pretty nasty dents even at low speeds on stationary or moving objects, that looks like a fairly good momentum to wedge the bike into the side of the car like that.

I know of a similar wreck. But, the bike went through the car. All the way. Half the guy over the top. Half the guy through the car with the bike. Killed the driver.

He was going around 120mph.

Considering the location of impact, and the type of passenger car that was hit by the motorcycle. It may be entirely possible that excessive speed was not a factor. I know we all want to make that simple jump to a conclusion, however, knowing just how little structure exists on that make and model of car at the point of impact, that kind of damage is really very easy to create. It is possible that the driver of the car failed to yield, and entered an intersection or roadway when it was not safe to do so.

Ok, so I will get flamed for not “me too-ing” the chorus of voices that say “too fast, too fast”. But considering the lack of site data and witness reports to work with, my assumption is just as valid as any others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom