Norwegian Cruise to Coz, Belize, Roatan, Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi...we are taking a cruise with some friends on Norwegian soon.

Here are my questions:

Does anyone have any advice on these ports?

One of our friends does not dive so (unfortunately) we won't be able to dive at every port.

Since we have heard that diving in Cancun isn't that great, we won't dive there.

If we have to choose one other non-diving spot out of the three (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize) which would you choose?

My wife did this cruise in January from Houston. As for not diving, Belize would be my second choice after Cancun, strangely enough. The diving was OK, but you can't get too far out very quickly (less nice reefs) & there are only two dive shops of which NCL didn't use either. Belize City wasn't much to wander through, though, so you are kinda stuck unless you opt for the jungle ride, cave ride, or the Cat trip (which I heard was fun, but YMMV).

Roatan was awesome. We used Subway, although I have dove at CoCo View and AKR and would rate them in that order. But the diving was great.

Coz is Coz == lotsa dive shops (choice), great locations, and a nice town center to hang out in.

In Cancun, the jeep tour is OK but has a cool swim in a Cenote, but the Cat/snorkle trip is great for non-divers who don't mind getting wet...

Hope you enjoy the cruise...

jwh

it is not about which places to NOT dive, it is about which places you MUST dive.

The general concensus here (and of course some opinions will vary) would be that Cozumel would be the place that you MUST dive, and then Roatan coming in second.

Cancun would be the last choice of course.

That leaves Belize as the other place that would have to be skipped unfortunately. Not that there is anything wrong with Belize, but if you can't do everything. . .

I think that I would cry if I had to skip one of the three, but that's just me.

Wristshot

There's a reason they don't have a dive operator in Belize.

When I did the Norwegian "Texarribean" cruise in January, there was a diving excursion in Belize. The boat left seven of us stranded in the Carribean for about an hour and a half (not including the 35 minute dive) before we were picked up again.

Needless to say, they refunded our money and dropped the dive op from the excursion list.

Agree with the previous post about the must dive in Cozumel and Roatan. The zoo in Belize is a neat trip, or the Mayan Ruins and River Wallace wildlife combo excursion are probably offered by the cruiseline

Unless the boat broke down on a drift, there could be no excuse for that.

Rich

the biggest thing to me would be are you diving with the ships crew? NCL has the shortest shore stops and if you are freelancing....you had better be back at the dock on time....or have a credit card. At least if you dive with their people...they wait for the ships workers....but not the customers.
rich

Ah damn, if I wasn't so mad about my current situation, i'd be jumping up and down insisting you come diving in Belize. The company I work for does the dive runs for that cruise ship in BZ. And it really is an excellent operation in terms of cusomer service.

Plus, i'd make sure they wouldn't leave you behind :wink:

If you already left, I hope you had a good time, all those spots are great places to dive.

Back
Top Bottom