Northwestern Bahamas compared to Southern Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello all, I'm interested in how diving in the 2 areas compares. I ask because I'm considering a Nekton Pilot trip to NW Bahamas and would like to know if the quality of diving is as good as the Southern Bahamas. I've never been to the Bahamas, but have been to T.C.I. 3 times, with that as a reference, which I assume is similar to Southern Bahamas diving, hence the question/comparison. I found T.C.I. diving, especially the Provo area, to be as good as any in the Caribbean/Atlantic for the numbers of fish and bigger animals.

My first guess is that NW Bahamas is not as good as there is more deep water near the reefs in the South and East of the country, which usually means greater fish populations and a more intact food chain. Of course, I'd be glad to have that idea dispelled as leaving from Ft. Lauderdale sure is easy, seems almost too good to be true. Being a pessimist is great because it means you're either right or glad to be wrong! Any first hand advice/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks, -Andy

............[snip].............

My first guess is that NW Bahamas is not as good as there is more deep water near the reefs in the South and East of the country, which usually means greater fish populations and a more intact food chain. .......[snip].........

Just out from one of the wrecks we dive off of Grand Bahama Island the sea floor plunges from 200' to 2000'

The shallow waters provide food that supports a fascinating reef population, while the influx of clear water from the deep, virtually guarantees incredible visibility.

Just out from one of the wrecks we dive off of Grand Bahama Island the sea floor plunges from 200' to 2000'

The shallow waters provide food that supports a fascinating reef population, while the influx of clear water from the deep, virtually guarantees incredible visibility.

That's good news, thanks for the info Tavi. When looking at a map, it wasn't so obvious what the bottom topo was around Grand Bahama...

There is great diving in both areas. You see big critters in both areas, but might see more schools of fish in the Northwest due to the shallow banks which are great fish nursuries.

The best diving in the NW Bahamas is (IMO) the area north of West End/Memory Rock. Proximity to the Gulfstream brings clear water and big fish. Proximity to the Bank makes dolphin encounters possible. In the SE Bahamas, there are very pristine areas around Rum Cay and Conception. San Salvador has excellent wall diving to rival or exceed West Caicos/French Caye.

Back
Top Bottom