Northern CA Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJS

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm looking for a lake or two on the western side of the Sierra's that would be OK for training OW students in the winter. Something that is below 2000 feet in elevation and fairly close to route 50 or 88 would be ideal. We use lake Tahoe in the summer but its a bit too cold to dive wet in the winter (39 deg F ). The OW students are not yet ready for dry suites. We have been driving to Monterey but the cost makes teaching or DM-ing an an even bigger act of charity. Just looking to save a few bucks for everyone during tough times. Any information would be appreciated:).
AJS
PS. We are coming from Carson City NV

You will probably only gain about 5 degrees coming even down into the Valley. Folsom Lake is on the 50 corridor but its usually about 44 in the winter on the surface. The rivers are about the same temperature (not that getting in a river in the winter is at all a good idea) You might reach out to see what instructor's in the Rockies do during winter. If you are an Instructor or DM you can post in the Instructor subforum.

Thanks Justin
44 degrees is not much of an improvement but its a little better. I can definitely feel the difference between 39 and 44, no ice cream headaches:puppy:. We won't see 44 degrees here until May. Due to the depth of Tahoe it is very slow to warm. Which lakes would be the best to look at? Have you done any diving in New Hogan Res.?

They few divers I know in the Rockies (Montana) head the for the tropics during the winter:cool2:.
AJS

You do know that in European countries, OW training is done in drysuits, right?

Dry suites would be just the ticket. Now we just have to figure out how to talk OW students into buying not only mask, snorkel and fins but a 2 to 3 k drysuite with undergarments:shakehead:. This could definitely solve the problem of having to teach winter classes:D.
AJS

Dry suites would be just the ticket. Now we just have to figure out how to talk OW students into buying not only mask, snorkel and fins but a 2 to 3 k drysuite with undergarments:shakehead:. This could definitely solve the problem of having to teach winter classes:D.
AJS

Dolphin Scuba in Sac rents them as well

Oddly, I just completed an OW class this last weekend at Lake Tahoe, with the students in dry suits.

All the best, James

Oddly, I just completed an OW class this last weekend at Lake Tahoe, with the students in dry suits.

All the best, James

Who with?
ajs

The shop is Adventure Scuba in Reno. Water at the Lake this last weekend was 39 degrees F at Sand Harbor, 42 degrees at Hurricane.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom