Trip Report North Sulawesi Trip Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely Bunaken deserves more than 1 day. My opinion only.
I remember reading some threads 2 years ago about how Bunaken was walls and turtles and gets boring after a while, and Bangka was much better. Figured I’ll have 3-4 dives and should get plenty of turtles in one day. But curious what folks suggest- should I take one day from Bangka and add on to Bunaken?

I remember reading some threads 2 years ago about how Bunaken was walls and turtles and gets boring after a while, and Bangka was much better. Figured I’ll have 3-4 dives and should get plenty of turtles in one day. But curious what folks suggest- should I take one day from Bangka and add on to Bunaken?
There are a lot of dive sites to choose from and one day is never enough(for me at least).
I believe you ought to extend your trip by couple of days.

@jjmochi

Are you planning to do the "Passport to Paradise" with Murex?

I'd thoroughly recommend it as you also travel between their three locations (Manado-Bangka-Lembeh) by boat diving on the way.

I would do it again, for several reasons, but not least the staff at each of the centres are fantastic as everyone is in that part of the world :)

@jjmochi

Are you planning to do the "Passport to Paradise" with Murex?

I'd thoroughly recommend it as you also travel between their three locations (Manado-Bangka-Lembeh) by boat diving on the way.

I would do it again, for several reasons, but not least the staff at each of the centres are fantastic as everyone is in that part of the world :)
Doing a similar package with Bastianos, they were cheaper but looked nice enough. As long as there is a decent bed and food I am happy since I usually pass out by 9-10pm after 4 dives a day.

There are a lot of dive sites to choose from and one day is never enough(for me at least).
I believe you ought to extend your trip by couple of days.
12 nights is the max, I have stretched my vacation allowance as far as I can go!

12 nights is the max, I have stretched my vacation allowance as far as I can go!
Pity.
You have to decide if 1 day is worth the bother to move from one place to another.
If I were you I will stay put and plan an extended visit in the future.

Bastianos.
Stayed with them on Bunaken well over 12yrs ago. The fan room was rustic and comfortable but food was inadequate(quantity). We were given an extra fried egg for breakfast for unknown reason. I remember one evening the late comers, because of night dive, were NOT given food at all!!!!! They ran out of food so they said. The buffet styled food was for both the lodgers and the staffs!!!! BTW, the full board rate was only US$12.00 per day and we were quite suspicious why it was so low.
I believe there have been changed of management since our last visit as the place look completely different.

If that's the only wildlife you had in your shower, call yourself lucky, to my mind. I've had to try to soap up, shampoo etc. whilst running around under the stream to keep the skeeter off of me. Let's not even talk about the spiders and other interesting creepy crawlies. :)

When I was there, I told @Searcaigh Whenever I go out to shower I have to keep the water running and constantly move to stay under the water. Or, the point of my story……when I’m on the shitter I’m constantly swinging my legs and arms wildly and rocking back and forth to fend potential mosquitos. Taking a dump has never been more stressful. I’m super allergic to them.

They also had a pontohi seahorse on the house reef. :)

I’m lucky I don’t ever have ear issues even in Bangka and Lembeh. I’m in Sorong and making my way back home slowly.

@jjmochi it was @Luko who mentioned Bunaken walls were walls and turtles and more walls and the walls were repetitive. He posted a comparison photo of typical Bangka vs typical Bunaken photos which is what sold me on going to Bangka instead of Bunaken. I also remember he said he could dive Sahaung all day and everyday. I’d agree with that, as will most dive guides around various dive areas I’ve spoken to. :)

I’m constantly swinging my legs and arms wildly and rocking back and forth to fend potential mosquitos.
To what extent is this a North Sulawesi thing vs. other mainstream Indonesian dive destinations? Are people staying at land-based resorts in Raja Ampat, Komodo, Bali and others likely to have a similar experience?

I take it a pump bottle of Deep Woods Off isn't enough to keep them at bay?

Mosquitoes are bad enough; I can just imagine someone blundering into your situation unexpectedly after reading about malaria and other mosquito-borne illnesses.

I have done a lot of wall dives in SE Asia and could not remember there is such a thing as typical. They are all different from top to the bottom and filled with various living organisms.
To what extent is this a North Sulawesi thing vs. other mainstream Indonesian dive destinations? Are people staying at land-based resorts in Raja Ampat, Komodo, Bali and others likely to have a similar experience?

I take it a pump bottle of Deep Woods Off isn't enough to keep them at bay?

Mosquitoes are bad enough; I can't just imagine someone blundering into your situation unexpectedly after reading about malaria and other mosquito-borne illnesses.
I have been to North Sulawesi few times and mossie was never an issue to my surprise. Perhaps I had picked the right time of the yr.
Repellent is not much useful when taking a shower. Coil usually last 6-8hrs so I always set one up in the bathroom.
Mossie is everywhere in all the diving destinations in SE Asia. You have to prepare for it as there is no real solution especially in remote places.
I used to carry a net but no more.

. I also remember he said he could dive Sahaung all day and everyday. I’d agree with that, as will most dive guides around various dive areas I’ve spoken to.
Welcome to the Sahaung club.
We're not that many but it's the most elitist club : other divers who do not belong don't know what they're missing.

Back
Top Bottom