North Sulawesi security concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anybody out there have any comment regarding "security issues" in North Sulawesi???

The Australian Department of Foreign affairs and travel website currently has a travel advisory warning out for all of Indonesia (which it has had for some years now ever since the Bali bombings.) However, there is also now a specific warning regarding Central Sulawesi province (people are strongly advised not to travel to central Sulawesi province ....due to unsettled security situation…” I'm going to Siladen (some distance from Central Sulawesi, but wouls still like to know how current this information is and if anyone can update the situation.
The Dept of Foreign Affairs also warns against the possibility of kidnappings in North Sulawesi near the Phillipines border.

These are the travel advisories from Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Homepage

North Sulawesi: In North Sulawesi, near the Philippines border, there is a risk of kidnapping for ransom by anti-government groups, criminals and terrorists operating from the southern Philippines.
Central Sulawesi: We strongly advise you not to travel to Central Sulawesi province (including Palu, Poso and Tentena) due to the unsettled security situation, including risk of bomb attacks and shootings. Bomb attacks and shooting incidents in public areas occurred regularly in 2005 and 2006 and killed and injured a number of people. Police raided militant strongholds in early 2007 and clashed with extremists, a number of whom were killed or arrested. Foreigners could be caught up in violence and attacks directed at others, but could also become the targets of violence. There have been attacks on inter-provincial and inter-city buses in the area of Poso, including those carrying tourists. Churches could also be targeted.

How concerned should I be?

I used to live in Oz & Jakarta
They used to regularly put out travel warning about Indonesia. I have always felt reasonably safe in Indonesia.

A couple of years ago the Oz government put out travel warnings for New Zealand & the UK !!
These warnings are very very conserative.
If you are heading to N. Sulawesi, you should have no specific concerns.

Central Sulawesi which is a considerable distance from manado is a little different & caution is advised.

Not very. Just use common sense and leave the gold Rolex at home...:)

I was there about this time last year...ahhh...happy memories...anyway, we had absolutley no probs at all and found the people really friendly - the lovely lady at the bank gave us about $5 cos I had the wrong WU number and no money to get back to the hotel - my Girl friend thought she would get grief because she is American but the worst she got was people asking her about her tattoo. The only problem we had was them laughing at us cos we are the barefoot traveler types, not a good idea in a place like Manado,. We had heard stories though, when we got to Bunaken, about locals that are christian being hounded in and around the capital but thats about all.

i live in northsulawesi since 4 years , owning and managing my dive resort in bangka island, and i must say, there are absolutely no security issues here. the manadonese and island folks here is such friendly, helpful and even shy. most of them you meet on the street dont know englisch thats why you will get everywhere a "hello mister".
i can walk alone, blond woman, in the night on the streets in manado and i never felt unconfortable.
hope see you soon in the land of the smiling people
anke
Blue Bay Divers | Home

North Sulawesi, Manado in particular, is fine as far as general and terrorist security concerns. You would only need to be aware of petty thieves or pick-pockets in case you were in a crowded market place, which is no different to any other part of Indonesia or the developing world for that matter.

Asian terrorists have used the place as a gateway into the Southern Philippines, but have not targeted the area for attacks and are unlikley to in the future (because they need to maintain the area as a corridor). Kidnappings occurred in North Malaysia by Filipino terrorists several years ago, but the Malay and Indo govts have dedicated better resources towards their intell gathering efforts and have a far better grip on things than several years ago.

North Sulawesi is predominately Christian and has a very settled security situation and good social cohesiveness, unlike Central Sulawesi which has had several problems with Islamic radicals, who were trained overseas and by the the Indonesian military and Intelligence services (for a previous civil war in Poso and Palu). The POLRI (Indo police) has received lots of training and resources from the Australain and US govts with regard to anti-terrorism and intell gathering and are far better equipped to handle the situation than 5 years ago.

Be aware that govt warnings are also political statements and are inclined to cover a govt's backside, especially after the first Bali incident; they do not provide objective or rational analysis anymore, they are often blanket statements to cover all contingencies.

You need to be more aware of recklesss driving or basic health issues (like clean food and Malaria) in North Sulawesi than terrorism and crime; the locals are friendly and are more than likely to be extremely curious about you than hostile.

I concur with all above. North Sulawesi is a wonderful place.

In big city America you don't see young school children walking home by themselves anymore. Yet in North Sulawesi you do.

The Australian government gave up a very strong warning about the Fiji coup attempt a few years ago which caused many Australians to not come. Just about destroyed the tourist economy.

I was there. Other than slowing down for the check points at the airport and entering or leaving a town or city you would not have known anything was going on. At one point one of the government officials who was being held "hostage" was allowed to go free to see his doctor and then he returned back to his "captors"

You will see often villages with mosques and churches side by side in North Sulawesi.

Once several years ago when I was on Bunaken Island there was a knifing after a football (soccer) match between the island team and a mainland team. Just your typical football hooliganism. Never a threat to the tourist divers, yet the Manado police send three or four officers to spend the night at our resort for our protection.

I have gone to North Sulawesi for one month a year for the past four years. You have no reason for concern.

The people are lovely and friendly, always singing and smiling and laughing. Very similar to the Fijians. If you can print up some popular song lyrics to give to people that is a wonderful gift. One of my dive guides, Opo, has on his rubber stamp for stamping your log book. "Opo the Singing Divemaster" He plays guitar and sings for you. What more can you ask for.

Do go, you will find that when you trip is over you will be planning your next trip there.

Does anybody out there have any comment regarding "security issues" in North Sulawesi???

The Australian Department of Foreign affairs and travel website currently has a travel advisory warning out for all of Indonesia (which it has had for some years now ever since the Bali bombings.) .

How concerned should I be?

As with all governments they tend to be a very over the top, just trying to protect their proverbial ass/backs (as well as a lot of other political intrigues involved here).

There are dangers everywhere in the world today, thats just life as we know it today.

Certainly as some one who lives and works Indonesia I do not share the same degree of concerns, however we need to act sensibly and be responsible. There are a few trouble spots but they are reasonably localised whilst the rest of Indonesia is calm and quiet.

North Sulawesi (manado, buaken ...etc) are a long way away the trouble areas in central Sulawesi. most of the areas in Indonesia are safe if you use your head.

THIS IS A TRAVEL WARNING - Indonesia is dangerous.....ly beautiful......

If you come to Indonesia, you risk it all! Because you might fall in love with it's beauty, underwater and on top of the islands, it's people and everything. You might spend all your money for diving and end up as a beggar! Beware!! :wink:

To be a bit more serious, I totally agree with above posts. I've been living in Indonesia for the last 1.5 years, have travelled extensively to and in almost all corners of the country (N-Sulawesi included) and never felt insecure in whatsoever way.

The Australian Department of Foreign affairs and travel website currently has a travel advisory warning out for all of Indonesia (which it has had for some years now ever since the Bali bombings.) However,
These are the travel advisories from Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade Homepage

The NSW and Vic State Govts etc ought to also issue travel warnings for Sydney, Melbourne, esp. King Street, Lakemba etc.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom